Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air con

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bloke who repaired my AC recommends running the AC all the time. This helps to keep the pipes on the condenser from coroding on the joins. It also helps to keep the compressor from wearing out.
He recommendeds servicing the system every 2-3 years mainly because he has seen receiver/driers explode and doing major damage to the entire AC system.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mine was repaired over two years ago and its still icy cold. It required major work as most of the gas leaked out causing the liquid line to corrode out along with the condensor. I had to get the bearing replaced in the clutch as it was noisy when the AC was switched off. I don't think I have lost 20% or even 10% of its gas. I'm considering getting it serviced but I'd kinda rather wait until i make a decision on whether to fit a new core the proper way 8hrs or the sneaky way, 2hrs. I am leaning towards having the dash removed and replacing the box while its apart. Only thing that's stopping me is the 1200 -1300 bucks cost, as apposed to 200 bucks doing it the sneaky way. I have done full dash removal myself and it's not something I want to undertake again. Last time i removed a dash the bus was off the road for two weeks.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Mine was repaired over two years ago and its still icy cold. It required major work as most of the gas leaked out causing the liquid line to corrode out along with the condensor. I had to get the bearing replaced in the clutch as it was noisy when the AC was switched off. I don't think I have lost 20% or even 10% of its gas. I'm considering getting it serviced but I'd kinda rather wait until i make a decision on whether to fit a new core the proper way 8hrs or the sneaky way, 2hrs. I am leaning towards having the dash removed and replacing the box while its apart. Only thing that's stopping me is the 1200 -1300 bucks cost, as apposed to 200 bucks doing it the sneaky way. I have done full dash removal myself and it's not something I want to undertake again. Last time i removed a dash the bus was off the road for two weeks.
That's 134a for you, they say if the conditions are right on the inside that 134a will corrode your system, 23 years and still cold pmsl, car must be in the shed and only driven on Sundays.. What's the sneaky way? Cut out the firewall? Can get the stop leak stuff. I only Quoted in what I read to keep your A/C running at premium condition they say your system will run cold until it looses 30% of gas but the issue is that after 15 20 % drop in pressure it will do damage to your compressor as all the oil wont get back to it faster enough. I rather pay 100 than 500 to keep replacing the compressor.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Is there an R12 substitute for older rigs?
Hycill minus 30 is suitable look it up and have a read. Its better as it doesn't load up your car as much as 134a does so your compressor wont work as hard and you have much colder vents.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The sneaky way Trevor is the sneaky way and it requires cutting pipes not the firewall. It works on VN - VS and not anything later AFAIK. It does work on some other makes as well.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Bloke who repaired my AC recommends running the AC all the time. This helps to keep the pipes on the condenser from coroding on the joins. It also helps to keep the compressor from wearing out.
He recommendeds servicing the system every 2-3 years mainly because he has seen receiver/driers explode and doing major damage to the entire AC system.
That's because 134a blocks up your condenser so if you replace your compressor due to bad bearings or leaks you should replace the condenser as a blocked condenser will stuff up your new compressor much quicker, a flush wont unblock it. I wish now I read up on it as I didn't replace my condenser probably one of the reasons its not getting as cold as hychill was before it leaked out and had 134a put in after replacing the parts my self, but make sure you torque the bolts to specs to avoid crushing the seals and stop the bolts from breaking. Their a seller on ebay Auto8 which is really good priced for genuine and aftermarket parts.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
As air con work can be pricey (and for those that do not have anything to lose and want to have a crack at it themselves) what is the best way to go about getting it going again if the system lost its gas, is contaminated and the compressor needs replacing? If the lines are unbolted and taken out what is the best thing to flush them out with?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
As air con work can be pricey (and for those that do not have anything to lose and want to have a crack at it themselves) what is the best way to go about getting it going again if the system lost its gas, is contaminated and the compressor needs replacing? If the lines are unbolted and taken out what is the best thing to flush them out with?
I would imagine the evaporator was leaking hence the reason it was removed, I be replacing the lot, just buy a few things at a time till you have it all then do the job. Your in a jam of spending lots of money to get a conversion done.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I was of the understanding you can't successfully flush an AC system, hence why you should never allow it to be exposed to the atmosphere.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
But if you have a leak With Hychill you can have your car catch fire in a smash, that’s not a risk I’d take nor explain to the insurance why it doesn’t have what was supposed to be in there.