Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air con

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I can only think they changed the condenser and drier and tx valve for that price
I had receiver, liquid line and condenser replaced, as well as some panel beating the lower radiator support panel for around $680.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
How often should an AC system be serviced?

Some sources say every 2 -5 years and recommend vacuum test, gas pulled, lines flushed and regassed so that debris and contamination from particle breakdowns don't block the Tx valve and starve the compressor to major failure. It would make good sense to have a really good filter between the drier and firewall so the system is more serviceable.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
How often should an AC system be serviced?

Some sources say every 2 -5 years and recommend vacuum test, gas pulled, lines flushed and regassed so that debris and contamination from particle breakdowns don't block the Tx valve and starve the compressor to major failure. It would make good sense to have a really good filter between the drier and firewall so the system is more serviceable.
Well there plenty who say I never touched it for 15 years and it still works, so when you feel like spending the money I suppose, Flushing a waste of money you can buy a condenser and drier for 130 flushing the system is a 2-3hr labour so cost is double, every think I read say once you loose 10% the damage starts and your system can work well up to 40% before you start to notice its not cooling as well, lose of pressure starves your Compressor so it depends I suppose on how much you drive it and how long for, 4 years be ok but if you stick with the one mechanic they will check the pressure for free every major service and only charge if they need to add refrigerant.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Well there plenty who say I never touched it for 15 years and it still works, so when you feel like spending the money I suppose, Flushing a waste of money you can buy a condenser and drier for 130 flushing the system is a 2-3hr labour so cost is double, every think I read say once you loose 10% the damage starts and your system can work well up to 40% before you start to notice its not cooling as well, lose of pressure starves your Compressor so it depends I suppose on how much you drive it and how long for, 4 years be ok but if you stick with the one mechanic they will check the pressure for free every major service and only charge if they need to add refrigerant.

Yeah but isn't flushing worth it to keep the system clean from contaminants especially after a compressor failure?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah but isn't flushing worth it to keep the system clean from contaminants especially after a compressor failure?
Only thing they recommend when changing compressor is replacing your condenser as flushing does fark all as the condenser core is so tiny flushing wont unblock it, your evaporator be fine, u can flush it yourself if you like once you remove the tx valve, also replace that and the drier, why risk flushing if it doesn't work then you blow your new compressor. Say if you have 10 flacks in the core and one stops the other 9 now you just made a small block into a big one. Pag oil in the right condition is corrosive as salt water that's why you have a drier as to prevent it from doing it.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Only thing they recommend when changing compressor is replacing your condenser as flushing does fark all as the condenser core is so tiny flushing wont unblock it, your evaporator be fine, u can flush it yourself if you like once you remove the tx valve, also replace that and the drier, why risk flushing if it doesn't work then you blow your new compressor. Say if you have 10 flacks in the core and one stops the other 9 now you just made a small block into a big one. Pag oil in the right condition is corrosive as salt water that's why you have a drier as to prevent it from doing it.

I am pretty sure i have seen a VK air con hose to a compressor look like it had a lot of brown looking residue on the hose walls. I wonder if a lot of the old R12 systems got regassed/topped up with the wrong refrigerant in the 90s and that lead to early compressor failures.