Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air con

Abee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II
Hi, I'm planning to purchase a second hand VT, but when I went to take it for a test drive I noticed the air conditioner wasn't blowing cold air (maybe a tiny but, but also may have imagined it). The air itself blows fine, all options work as they should, just lack of cold air
Just wondering if it just needs a regas or is it possible there may be bigger problems?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Well that's a million dollar Question, U wont know until you get it tested, on average a A/C unit leaks 10% a year, they recommend to have them serviced every 2 years.
Go and buy yourself a can of Hychil minus 30 and fill it if it leaks then you know, look on google you can buy a can for 35 bucks, VT take 240g of hychil compare to 800g of 134a and its colder, just weigh the can first then keep adding it into the low side until you get 240g in and see how long it last. Or pay someone to test it and they will add a dye to find the leaks, If its your evaporator then its big money, 8hr labour plus parts.

Abee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II
Yeah.. I think I might pass on it.
It's 1200, but after reading other threads, the repairs for air con could reach the same amount... I have my 1 year old daughter I'll be driving around, so air con is a must.
Probably not worth the risk purchasing it, as I don't have another 1200 to waste haha
Ah well

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It was going to cost me almost 1k to have a compressor and tx valve and drier replaced and filled, got the parts me self only costing around 500. U not going to get much for 1200.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Yeah.. I think I might pass on it.
It's 1200, but after reading other threads, the repairs for air con could reach the same amount... I have my 1 year old daughter I'll be driving around, so air con is a must.
Probably not worth the risk purchasing it, as I don't have another 1200 to waste haha
Ah well

I agree, $1200 wont buy you much of a car,
Maybe looking towards a late VX > early VE, that all depends upon you financial situation.
Keep looking, you will find one.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
If we are going to recommend Hychill we should also be pointing out it is flammable.

134a is the gas specified by Holden.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If we are going to recommend Hychill we should also be pointing out it is flammable.

134a is the gas specified by Holden.
And so is 134a with PAG oil, and its toxic and bad for our climate just like r12 was. Scare tactics have been used for years and not one incident of it exploding, only those early ones when the cars were tampered with to scare people out of using it, likely to explode .1% you need the right flow and air mixture to happen it be like winning Tats lotto its no different to 134a exploding and it is more pressurised than hychill 800g compare to 240g, Holden recommend it because of the white coats who came up with 134a control them ( Big Dogs ).

Mate I have a 80L LPG tank in my boot if I was going to be scared I wouldn't be sitting in a car with a potential bomb, its no different to say petrol if you have a leak you have a 68L tank if its full. So using proper gander about it exploding please if it was dangerous why is it that I can buy it and not 134a as you need to be licensed ( qualified ) to use it as its as toxic as hell that's why it must be vacuumed out of the system and a record to be kept and the cylinder bottles returned. They no its causing a green house problem but cover it up. Hychill is green house friendly and its better for fuel consumption and longer service life on parts.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Is there an R12 substitute for older rigs?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
For $130 for a regas inc receiver/dryer, why bother messing around trying to refill your own A/C system?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
....on average a A/C unit leaks 10% a year, they recommend to have them serviced every 2 years.

Well, the A/C unit in my wife's VS Clubsport still works well after 23 years and no servicing. The A/C unit in my VX GTS still worked after 15 years and no servicing. Don't recall anything in the Holden/HSV Owner's manuals about getting the A/C unit serviced every two years. Generally, the A/C unit is only tested to make sure it's still performing as part of the regular service. Who is this "they" you mentioned.