Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

air con?

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
hey people, problem is with my aircon it used to work fine, was very cold actually but now it doesnt work, i put to cold and push the A/C button and its just like a fan is pushing out air, and you can hear the compressor under the bonnet constantly turn on and off like every 10-15 seconds. what does everyone think my problem is? and how can i fix it? i did take my dash out to install my stereo but i put everything back together the same way it was before so yeah, i have no idea and i really need aircon because its getting hot in melbourne haha anyways thanks in advance, have fun btw i have a vn series 1 v6.... thanks =]

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
really? thats weird because i used it like 6 months ago and it was really cold. and that was on a idle and drive, and it was cold, wouldnt it of got hotter? its not like the aircon is working but throwing out hot air, it keeps turning on and off and just the fan is working. i dont know if that makes sense, so how much would regasing cost anyways?

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
any where from $60 to $120.
another thing is the compressor could be seazed or the clutch could be faulty

Nikkojoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
AE86, VE M6 UTE, Toyota 86
It actually could be a number of things. One simple thing to check is that the heater control wire is connected properly (you mentioned that you took appart your dash center to install a radio) as it could be stuck on a certain setting. This is located on the drivers side foot rest. Sometimes the clip becomes loose and when you rotate temperature dial causing the wire to slip out of position. Easiest way to fix it is to wrap some tape around the teeth on the metal wire.

Here are a few pics what i mean:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Also, you could have a falty high pressure or low pressure switch. This regulates when the compresser turns on and off.

Finally it could just be low on gas, and needs to be re-gassed....

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
It actually could be a number of things. One simple thing to check is that the heater control wire is connected properly (you mentioned that you took appart your dash center to install a radio) as it could be stuck on a certain setting. This is located on the drivers side foot rest. Sometimes the clip becomes loose and when you rotate temperature dial causing the wire to slip out of position. Easiest way to fix it is to wrap some tape around the teeth on the metal wire.

Here are a few pics what i mean:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Also, you could have a falty high pressure or low pressure switch. This regulates when the compresser turns on and off.

Finally it could just be low on gas, and needs to be re-gassed....

Yes try that first, I know I always forget about that thing whenevr I gott the dash apart. Secondly your seals could have dried out, since you havent used it in 6 months the gas could have leaked, you should run the aircon every week for a few minutes to lubricate the seals, in this case you need to get it re-gassed.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
yeah i didnt forget that, i connected that after i put the dash in just so i got it right, the arm works properly and moves. it was one of the first things i made sure of. and i couldnt put on the aircon that often because it wasnt registered, and it only ever had like 10litres of fuel at a time(jerry cans) and i didnt want to risk blowing my fuel pump. so yeah, would having little gas make it constantly turn on and off? its really weird because it was sitting for 3 years before i brought it and we tryed the gas and it worked perfectly but it sat for 6 months at my place and then it doesnt work.. very confusing.... anyways thanks alot:D:D

Nikkojoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
AE86, VE M6 UTE, Toyota 86
I have a faulty high pressure switch. If you jiggle it, it turns on and off, but in the right position, it works fine. The pressure switches pretty much determine if it's low on gas. I think these switches are around 30-40bucks each....

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
I have a faulty high pressure switch. If you jiggle it, it turns on and off, but in the right position, it works fine. The pressure switches pretty much determine if it's low on gas. I think these switches are around 30-40bucks each....

i dont know that much about cars, so where is this switch? and if i give it a jiggle and if i get the right position and it works then the switch is dead in the ass?