Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air condition problem

Doubleshadow

Too much is not enuff!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
My 97 VT Exec is only blowing air from the top vents. When I change the controls to blow elsewhere, it just refuses to respond. I feel like Rodney Dangerfield - no respect. I have ascertained from reading some posts here, it may be the vacuum. I have a general idea of what I am looking for, but I am getting mixed messages. For instance, there is mention of the solenoid by the driver's side wheel, also about a plug feed under the hose that runs from the air cleaner, then there is the hose running from the driver side foot rest dash. I am so confused that if my butt were to itch, I probably scratch my head.

Can anyone give some hand holding directions to a newbie who does not wish to stay being...a newbie.

:ranting:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
First thing is to check if you have vacuum. Start the engine and let it run for about 30 seconds, then turn it off. Then turn your vent position knob to different positions. If you hear a slight hissing noise each time you turn it. then it's ok. It will only hiss until the vacuum runs out and then it needs the engine started again to biuld up the vacuum. See how that goes for a start.

Doubleshadow

Too much is not enuff!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Appreciate the advise!

I will do that today when I get home, although I strongly suspect there is no vacuum. I remember turning the knobs when I was driving and I normally use to get a sound when it worked, but this time there were no sounds.

If indeed, there is no vacuum, what is the next step? By the way, I truly appreciate your help. You are like a guardian angel. Thanks for the tips.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The next step would be to check all the hoses related to the ventilation. You'll have to remove the vent position switch a check all the hoses connected to it, I think there are 6. Make sure they are all connected securely. Some of the hoses go to actuators which operate the different vents. One hose goes to the vacuum tank which is situated on the passenger side behind the glove box, you may be able to access it from underneath, I'm not sure. So check the hose that runs from the switch to the vacuum tank. There is another hose that runs from the vacuum tank to the engine, I dont know where on the engine it is connected to but I would say somewhere on the intake manifold, so you might have to trace it to be sure. If all those hoses are OK all that is left is to check the hoses going to the actuators and and the vacuum valve. Perhaps the vacuum valve is stuffed. Also check for a hole in the vacuum tank. The problem could be anywhere there, but you might get lucky and find the problem straight away. The only other thing I can think of is that the switch itself might be the problem.

Last edited:

Doubleshadow

Too much is not enuff!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Thanks for the details. If ever you on my side of reality, the Crown Lagers are on me.