Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air conditioner compressor/pump?

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
Hi everyone. Fitting a replacement air conditioner compressor/pump to my vt. The mechanic told me not to roll it over as oil would come out. I rolled it a little to check but none came out. Is there a way to check the oil level in it and if it needs some what's the procedure to get it right? Also, what type of oil is used in them? Thanks for any help that might be given. Gus.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's a special oil for AC systems as far as I know.

To do the job properly, once you have finished putting it all back together take it to an AC shop, have them vacuum evacuate the system to remove any contaminants, vacuum test for leaks and then charge the system. They will add the correct amount of refrigerant and oil.

Reactions: Lex

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
It's a special oil for AC systems as far as I know.

To do the job properly, once you have finished putting it all back together take it to an AC shop, have them vacuum evacuate the system to remove any contaminants, vacuum test for leaks and then charge the system. They will add the correct amount of refrigerant and oil.
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. As long as i don.t turn on the a.c am i ok to drive around?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yup. As long as the system is off the pump pulley is free-wheeling and the pump itself doesn't turn.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Those compressor's normally take approx. 200ml of oil,
I did the one on my VY in may, I drained it, and put 200ml of Fluorescent Oil in it,
then Vac'd it out, no leaks, and charged it up, its working ok,
But,
With trying to keep the costs down,
I purchased a S/Hand one from a Wrecker in Ballarat from Central Motor Wreckers [while I was working in Ballarat on the day], being they screwed me over.
The one I rang about at [4pm] the day before I was going to Ballarat was available, as it had low k's [approx. 80,000 k's]
But when I got to their counter [at 9am the following day after I rang] it was sold, so they said they had another one they said was in the same condition, so I purchased that.
After doing my home work from the car it was removed from, as they had the VIN # on the item tag,
I checked the other VY's they had, and found the VY it was pulled from, had more than double the amount of K's of the one I originally enquired about,
so another BS wrecker "Central Motor Wreckers" that false advertisers items, don't deal with them.

As above, I installed it, Vac'd it, and then gassed it up,
but its leaking from the front seal behind the clutch, as I can see it with a UV torch, [as its best to check it at night]

One would think, a Country Motor Wrecker could not afford to BS customers, especially in Ballarat, let alone from Melbourne.
I hope everyone reads this, and thinks twice before purchasing from them.
Never again.

Last edited:

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
If Its second hand then who knows how much oil is in it, new ones come filled with correct amount of oil, PAG 46 oil is what's used if I remember when doing mine, probably a good time to change the drier too. They take 225ml oil best to fit it yourself and get someone to vacuum it out and reinstall the oil and gas. PS when fitting the O-rings put a bit of PAG oil on them to stop them from pinching when doing up.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Factory manual says not to oil the seals.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
That could be also to assist in locating potential oil leaks, make it hard to tell what is a leak and what was an oiled area weeping.

Likewise, those compressor manifold o rings can go at any time. Simply going through gassing up and vacuum tests after a period of sitting may test them out if already a location of future issue. While annoying after the fact, replacing a used compressor and not replacing this area is playing luck with the outcome, when very easy to replace as service items. Finding it already had a dye stain or weep at that point out of the parcel and prior to fitting is the fault of wrecker, though.