Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air conditioner smell

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Mine is MY17 and the afterblower is definitely on - can hear it each time I enter and exit the vehicle!
If every service interval = 9 months, then yes should be no smell. I’ve been guilty of leaving my filter in there for just over a year!

Shouldn't come on when you enter or exit. Mine comes on 5mns or so after switch off if the AC was on. MY17 here too

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Shouldn't come on when you enter or exit. Mine comes on 5mns or so after switch off if the AC was on. MY17 here too

Definitely on entry and exit for me, quite obvious to hear a fan noise faintly in the background. Has mine not been programmed correctly? (But both my MY17s behave the same way)

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Definitely on entry and exit for me, quite obvious to hear a fan noise faintly in the background. Has mine not been programmed correctly? (But both my MY17s behave the same way)

I'm assuming the dealer tech would do the same, but mine was done by a Holden Engineer at the time and all he did was plug his laptop in and click on a check box to enable "afterblow". We waited 5mns or so after engine switch off and the fan came on.

Maybe question it with the dealer who enabled it for you.

It's not a standard feature, which it should be in my opinion..

Also I don't run AC all the time so it may behave differently in different settings.

vs355x

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf
I reckon I have the issue of the musty smell within my vf maloo, only gets driven every few months, and after being closed up - always has a smell. After 5 min of driving the smell is gone.
It doesnt appear to have the afterblow function (as best as I can tell - dont hear any fans running within a period of turning the car off). Spoke to the local dealer the other day, and they said it is $150 for them to plug in and check.
I do all the servicing etc myself, so dont have any need for it to go in otherwise - is there any other way around this?, or do i have to bite the bullet and pay the stealership the $150?

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
$150 for them to plug in?

Maybe someone used a Bluetooth gizmo for less than $20 and tested out some 14 day trial software apps on their phone until finding one that gives the info you need to see, ie. the fan isn't working.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I do all the servicing etc myself, so dont have any need for it to go in otherwise - is there any other way around this?, or do i have to bite the bullet and pay the stealership the $150?
You’d be better off buying a VXDiag Nano (or a more expensive Bosch MDI2 clone) and DIY. After all the $150 odd would go a long way towards the purchase cost of $180 - $230 for the Nano (MDI is more costly).

Then you can do almost anything the dealer can do and screw your car up just like the professionals but at a cheaper cost :p

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
An alternative for an infrequently driven car could be to manually turn the air conditioner off and run the heater and ‘fresh air’ for 5 minutes or so before turning the car off.

vs355x

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf
An alternative for an infrequently driven car could be to manually turn the air conditioner off and run the heater and ‘fresh air’ for 5 minutes or so before turning the car off.
Tried that - unfortunately didnt appear to make any real difference and living in qld - it is completely unnatural to turn the a/c off and put the heater on (so just as likely to forget). Had replaced the cabin filter, maybe the smell was already in the system. Just did the glen 20 run through this morning.

You’d be better off buying a VXDiag Nano (or a more expensive Bosch MDI2 clone) and DIY. After all the $150 odd would go a long way towards the purchase cost of $180 - $230 for the Nano (MDI is more costly).

Then you can do almost anything the dealer can do and screw your car up just like the professionals but at a cheaper cost :p
Ha - Im sure I can screw it up just as well as they do. Is the vxdiagnano all that i would need, or is there some subscription as well?

Yeah - the $150 just to plug in seems ridiculous, but not sure what the other option is. And even worse if they are simply ticking a box to turn it on.......

vs355x

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf
https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...nostic-tool-with-gds2-sw.280773/#post-3081030

Just found this thread on a similar path. Seems - as mine is 2015 (therefore pre 2016), it isnt a simple tick box, and would need the subscription service. I wouldnt object to buying the vxdiag etc, as its a similar cost - but then the subscription, and it also sounds like a stuff around with getting it running correctly (or via virtual machine.)

Guess I just have to bite the bullet

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...nostic-tool-with-gds2-sw.280773/#post-3081030

Just found this thread on a similar path. Seems - as mine is 2015 (therefore pre 2016), it isnt a simple tick box, and would need the subscription service. I wouldnt object to buying the vxdiag etc, as its a similar cost - but then the subscription, and it also sounds like a stuff around with getting it running correctly (or via virtual machine.)

Guess I just have to bite the bullet
[

Jokes aside, it ain’t that difficult and there are instructions around on how to get the software to work for Holden which requires the correct version of C++ redistribution package. And the sps subscription is $50? for a single VIN for I think 2 years….

It can pay for itself the next time you may need programming or diagnosis as it becomes DIY. Flip side it can cost you $$$ when/if you screw up but that‘s not likely if you play by the rules…

Last edited: