Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Conditioning Advice

WillyTheMLGPro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman 50th Anniversary
So I have a vs statesman Series iii with the L67 engine and I've been having issues with my Air conditioning and or Climate control. I'm not sure what is actually the issue.

Like many, I press the auto button and majority of the time, nothing comes on the climate control screen. Sometimes it will come on and work normally but maybe for a few minutes before turning off and sometimes it won't come on at all and then suddenly at the end of my journey.
When it does work, it does work very well but I don't really get any air out of the side vents on the doors and the rear vents.
The Climate control module does work and all the buttons function as they should.
I have had the system re-gassed recently.

on the 13/12/2022 I replaced the Engine Fan, Low fan, Blower and compressor relays in the Engine bay and noticed no change immediately after but during the 14/12, The whole system worked flawlessly when I used the climate control module until I filled my coolant back up.

Not sure what I should do next.
My mechanic said that I should try and find another climate control module to replace it and I've been debating using some electronics contact cleaner on the bottom of the relay box.

If I do replace the module I was thinking of finding someone that does electrics reconditioning.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
vacuum solenoid. not sure about the V8, but on my Berlina it's under the stereo after you remove the centre console/shifter surround. you're looking for something like this with the 5 holes, not six (unless it's different for the V8, or Holden decided to upgrade it to a VT module)

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

WillyTheMLGPro

Reaction score
Members Ride
vacuum solenoid. not sure about the V8, but on my Berlina it's under the stereo after you remove the centre console/shifter surround. you're looking for something like this with the 5 holes, not six (unless it's different for the V8, or Holden decided to upgrade it to a VT module)
Is this the cause of my issue with the unit turning on? Or of the air not coming out of the outer vents?

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Is this the cause of my issue with the unit turning on? Or of the air not coming out of the outer vents
hard to say.
happens to me as well. only reason I think it might be the vacuum side of things is because i've noticed you'll hear a click from that area as if the vents are opening & then the climate control will work normally. try driving it up & down a big hill or steep incline to see if it starts working properly. the fan is completely independent of the fan speed regulator, but direction is definitely controlled by the solenoid.
mechanic could perform a leak/pressure test, but this won't necessarily tell you the source of a leak coming from under the dash

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Is this the cause of my issue with the unit turning on? Or of the air not coming out of the outer vents?
this vacuum unit would be the cause of the air not coming out of where you expect it to.
Unit not turning on is more likely elec related, or a failure of the display unit itself.

WillyTheMLGPro

Reaction score
Members Ride
So seems like my issue with my Climate control unit actually seems to be potentially related to me missing the overflow bottle a little and having coolant run down the behind of the relay box and onto some of the wires behind.

WillyTheMLGPro

Reaction score
Members Ride
So seems like my issue with my Climate control unit actually seems to be potentially related to me missing the overflow bottle a little and having coolant run down the behind of the relay box and onto some of the wires behind.
Okay I ended up replacing my Heater tap that was leaking like crazy and in doing so have completely fixed my AC.
All the vents blow cold air where before only the 2 in the center dash did before.
The unit also just turns on with no issue anymore.
I'm guessing it was either the tap itself or one of the vacuum lines I had to reconnect.

Reactions: Lex

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
On mine the Schrader valves were apparently stuffed. Assholes a autobahn charged me $25 a piece for $4 valves.