Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Conditioning Advice

efryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 3.6 Auto
VS Air direction Selector

Craftsman said:
On my VS the dial doesn't work at all. If I have it set to face, it blows out the windscreen vents. Sometimes you just get the hissing sound and no air at all. There's no recycled air, all the air comes from outside and that's frustrating in traffic.
Seems a common enough problem, anyone got any ideas?

Not sure if you have it fixed yet, but sounds like the Air Selector unit is screwed. I had a similar problem, where on certain settings it sounded like a light hissing sound (although one setting was louder), and the vent was either stuck in one position or not the position you selected.

I was expecting the worse e.g. megabucks, so I held off fixing or even looking at it for a while.

Anyhow, spoke to a Holden spare parts guy and he said straight away (common issues as you said), that the selector was crook. Went in and picked one up new for $26.00 (it is just the backend part), just moved over hose for hose (5-6mm hoses) and worked fine, all back to normal.

From what I could see, the selector works on little chambers directing the vacuum, which in turn moves the air-flow flaps, and if it is slightly warped or leaking in a spot, the vacuum becomes a random or non-event.

Hope this helps someone

Regards

Bob

hoppersvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore
quick question

my vr smells of coolant when i drive round with the windows up and seems to be blowing from the air con vents, hav u experienced that prob before also when i first turn mi air con on it has this very bad smell blow through the car for at least 2 mins ne ideas??

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
Evaporator Replacement

I am pretty sure my Evaporator is cactus. When I turn on the A/C on it has an oily smell coming though the vents. Interchanging between Recycle vent and the Fresh Air vent does momentarily remove the smell but it soon returns. Does anyone know how much it is to replace the Evaporator. :w00t:

stukor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS v6 auto Executive sedan
Have noticed that many receiver drier nuts have been a problem to undo due to seizure.

I can recommend an aerosol product called YIELD made by Chemsearch to loosen rust instantly,which you spray on the pipe /nut area.
Pag oil is noted to cause seizure by attracting moisture,possibly through the lubrication to the o rings,if it has been used to lubricate the threads!

Are any VS owners having a/c condensors leaking at both top corner areas with oil staining becoming apparent?

Craftsman

Reaction score
efryer said:
Anyhow, spoke to a Holden spare parts guy and he said straight away (common issues as you said),
From what I could see, the selector works on little chambers directing the vacuum, which in turn moves the air-flow flaps, and if it is slightly warped or leaking in a spot, the vacuum becomes a random or non-event.

Hope this helps someone

Regards

Bob

I gave this a try and now it just shoots out the feet only, the best part is that it sucks air in through the face vents!! I've tried holding the vacuum selector in my hand and working it around but nothing changes. I can only think that there's a blockage in one of the hoses somewhere, there's no leaking of air around the vacuum selector and it's impossible to hook the hoses up incorrectly as they only connect one way.
So I'm buggered if I know how to solve this one. Any help very much appreciated.

Craftsman

Reaction score
Problem solved. One of the hoses had come loose down near the heat pipe rod.

Hooray! :drink:

auc05l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
wakesetter_boarder said:
The VR i getting i noticed today, when i turn the air con on yo can hear a gassy sound (that it is leakin slowly) you can hear the air con turn on though when idling so i assume that there isnt a problem with it ceased like i hear they do. There isnt much that comes out when the AC is turned on except all i can hear is this leaking gassy sound... ny ideas what this would cost to replace? any cheap ways to fix it?

Thwe oner at the moment also siad that he had to replace sum fuses and ti worked fine, then blew about a month later??

Josh
The contols have vaccume actuators, this is the sound you hear, it is completly normal. As for the fuses problem more info required.

auc05l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
hoppersvr said:
my vr smells of coolant when i drive round with the windows up and seems to be blowing from the air con vents, hav u experienced that prob before also when i first turn mi air con on it has this very bad smell blow through the car for at least 2 mins ne ideas??
Sounds like you heater core is busted, i'd recon it would be a bitch to change, with the bad smell the leaking of coolant is probibly promoting mould in the evaporator, its looking like a dash out job.

Craftsman

Reaction score
I've still got the problem with the "inside air" getting its air from outside. Nothing worse than being in traffic with this problem. All the other air modes work fine so I assume this is a vent problem. Have tried searching through the forums but no luck, any ideas?

TI0350

Reaction score
Website
www.kts350.com.au
Members Ride
White S2 LX Captiva Diesel
When I bought my VS 5 yrs ago the aircon worked great and was nice and cold now you might as well say it's blowing hot air as it doesnt cool the air at all.. Everything works on it accept the air is not cold anymore..
Could it just need regassing or could be soemthing else..