Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Conditioning Advice

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My VR ute compressor is not cutting in and out. The engine revs change when I throw the switch but no oscillating is occurring like I think it should. I saw the list of possible AC problems. Should I get a regas and see where the leaks are or should I start by throwing a few parts at it first. My concern is it should ne oscillating I think? Even with no gas I thought it should oscillate, albeit quickly?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Do you have a multimeter? I'd check to make sure there's voltage at the blower. If not, then work back from there.
If there is, I'd say the blower is suspect.
Sorry for the late reply waited till I was on holidays.
No multimeter not good with electrician.
Put new resistance in no go.
Is there a relay or fuse I should look at?

Last edited:

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Sorry for the late reply waited till I was on holidays.
No multimeter not good with electrician.
Put new resistance in no go.
Is there a relay or fuse I should look at?

The fuse panel in the engine bay has a relay and fuse for the blower. Check these bad boys, you have a bung relay.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
My VR ute compressor is not cutting in and out. The engine revs change when I throw the switch but no oscillating is occurring like I think it should. I saw the list of possible AC problems. Should I get a regas and see where the leaks are or should I start by throwing a few parts at it first. My concern is it should ne oscillating I think? Even with no gas I thought it should oscillate, albeit quickly?

Get the system checked. If there is no gas, the compressor wont run. Dont start throwing parts at it, as you may be replacing items unnecessarily.
Most places will re-gas and throw in a dye and then tell you to run the system and bring it back. They'll quickly tell you where the leak is.

Cheers

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
The fuse panel in the engine bay has a relay and fuse for the blower. Check these bad boys, you have a bung relay.
Now is it the large covered one or the little one below?

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Now is it the large covered one or the little one below?
The large one. That has all your main relays and 6 fuses in it. The smaller one is the main fuses for the vehicle. All the relays are labelled, so you should be able to see pretty easy which is which. If your fuse is ok, swap the blower relay with another one and see if it works.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Get the system checked. If there is no gas, the compressor wont run. Dont start throwing parts at it, as you may be replacing items unnecessarily.
Most places will re-gas and throw in a dye and then tell you to run the system and bring it back. They'll quickly tell you where the leak is.

Cheers

Yeah I was thinking to get it regassed and go from there. I was going by my previous vehicles (non VR Commodores) that had aircon probs where it would cycle still even without gas just that it happened every 2-3 seconds instead of 20-25 seconds like a fully operational system should.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
my aircon does everything perfectly works great in every way, but...a/c doesnt get cold anymore :(

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Where in Adelaide are you? There is a bloke at McLaren Vale (Perkins Auto Repairs) who is really good with all mechanical repairs inc air his name is Malcolm he helped me out a lot when I had the Jeep.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
my aircon does everything perfectly works great in every way, but...a/c doesnt get cold anymore :(

Probably just needs to be re-gassed.