Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Conditioning Advice

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Blower had to be reconditioned aftermarket part sent was VT so no good.
They had a short cut too no full dash removable.
$770 all up.

Is the shortcut well known?? My aircon is not existent and until I spend the bucks and get it assessed it could be any number of issues like your's was. Was your's not blowing any air at all, not even warm air?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
All AC systems seem to loose their gas over time. Don't know why? Our old VS was the same, aircon got less and less. One day I took it to some outfit, they vacuum tested the system and it was fine, re-gassed it and it was 100% after that.

I just bought a one of these http://www.coolkiwi.net.nz/store/p48/DIY_Air_Conditioning_Recharge_Starter_Kit.html I'm going to top up the AC in the missus VX as it's not working as well as it used too either.

Is it possible to get one of these or something similar in Aust? My air is not working and no doubt it most likely has multiple issues. If I could give it a regas myself for the summer that would be great. Everywhere around here want $250 to regas it without doing any repairs and it will all leak out by the end of summer. Mine apparently has some gas in the system but not much. My clutch could be worn as it spins without much resistance. I noticed the receiver/dryer is really old possibly original. At a guess I'm at $400 before I do much to it at all.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Not sure TBH. Google is your friend.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
And how did you know how much as to add? I found it on Amazon but not sure if I can get it delivered to Tasmania or not. Reading on here blokes getting regas for under $100 bucks???? Is that still the case anywhere surely that price was back in 1990??

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Priced up a OEX receiver/drier at Repco; $8.72. I was like WTF??? Last time I bought one for an old car I owned it was over 100 bucks. Now to find someone who can regas it at a decent price, under $250 would be nice. Think with the things that could go wrong I most likely won't attempt a regas myself as it will be too hard to evacuate the old gas and moisture.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Good news, just found a bloke near work who will pressure test mine. Regas and receiver/drier around $150. Said mine might have a leaking compressor seal as apparently that's the most common issue with them. But that means a new compressor. Although mine has a small amount of pressure since the clutch activates, which hopefully means a fairly cheap repair.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wtf it could only be a list of 4 or 5 things surely

Could u get a second opinion

Or a heap of parts from a wreckers

Leaks surely come from the orings. Cant be too many places it could leak from?
If the leak is slow it will most likely be the compressor. Unfortunately it s not economical to repair the oring in the compressor.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Here are some known problems

#1.. The liquid lines at the reciever drier seize onto to the reciever drier. Replacement of the liquid line from the reciever drier to the tx valve. Or the replacement of the condensor or both. Approx. $190 - $500 gassed

#2.. Discharge hose leaking. Hose from the compressor to the condensor. Approx $200 gassed

#3.. Tx valve leaking. Small valve that regulates the gas flow. Approx. $200

#4.. Evaporator leaking. Behind the dash. (Dash out 10 hours) Approx $850

#5.. Condensor leaks. Normally top left hand side. Approx $500

#6.. Liquid line leaking at P' Clamp on condensor. Approx $190

#7.. Compressor leaking or self distructing. Approx $1200

#8.. Leaking Heater tap. Causes loss of cooling. Approx $60

#9.. Heater tap staying on. Vacuum switch problem. Approx $50

#10.. leaking on floor. Drain tube blocked. Approx. $20 for deblocking

These are the most common problems I get with the A/c system on VR-S Commodores.

Don't be too scared of the problems, just be aware of them and that The A/c does NOT just need "re-gassing" it WILL have a problem.

Regards Guy.

Out of this list what would be the most likely leak, considering I still have a small amount of gas still in the system, compressor???