Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Conditioning

S

swift sampson

just bought a supercharged VT. There is a stale musty smell when the air con is started, it seems to go away after a few mins. but every time its started its very strong.

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
have you had the car since new? make the previous owners smoke inside it and the smell goes throgh the system. or mabye water is sitting somewhere and going stagnent (if thats how you spell it lol)

TheLucksta

Reaction score
If you don't use your a/c during winter it can get bacteria and fungi growing in it, which can be avoided by using it more often or just by letting it blow out now and again.

R

rekkie

I dont smoke or anything but notice the same... What I do to stop it is turn off the aircon a couple of minutes before turning the car off and let some fresh air run through the system.

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
The musty smell is common if there is a build up of moisture (not draining correctly) and/or if there is leaves, hair or some other not meant to be there stuff in the evap housing. Pull the glovebox out and get some Glen 20 and spray it towards the fan tumblers with the fan on low. This should kill any smells etc. WATCH YOUR EYES!!!!! Do this wilst switching from face to feet to windscreen etc.

Hope this helps

Regards Guy.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Glen 20 stinks! We use it at work as some of our clients stink. Sometimes I wonder if the smell of BO, smelly feet and urine stained clothing is better - hehehe.