Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air filter or cold intake

R

Rank

I have a little 202 VK. I wana get a few more kilowatts out of her without spending too much money. What can you recommend???

I was thinking of installing cold air intake straight from the stock air filter but then i also saw that there are performance air filters that simply expose the air filter and let all air in around the sides. What would you recommend the better option. Can both be used at the same time...

cheers

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
from what i hear cold air intake provide more kw but r a bit more expensive

vee ka

Reaction score
Members Ride
'85 HDT VK SS, '03 Liberty GT, '06 Forester XT
is it carbie or EFI??
for EFI, a good cold air intake with the standard air box and good filter would be a better option than the "exposed" peformance filter simply because if you whack on one of those peformance type of filters ( generally a "pod" ) with out boxing it or shielding it you draw in all the hot air from the engine aswell as any cold air, basically it can make it worse. you can do a cheap cold air intake by making a hole in the bottom or side or whever you can get the best spot, then get some pvc pipe and one or two bends ( plumbing store or dads shed?? :) ) push it into the air box and silastic around the gap if there is one, then glewthe pipe bits together in the direction you want it to go then brace it at the air intake end with something. did this on my old VL and worked well. :thumbsup:

for a carbie the open round ( usually chrome ) ones are ok, theres not a hell ova a lot you can really do for them, you could run a pipe of some sort up to the filter but that wouldnt do much. a good quality element is the best way to go in that regards i reckon imo

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
If you want cooling types, have you tried Thermo's ? or Extractors?

Both :thumbsup:

vee ka

Reaction score
Members Ride
'85 HDT VK SS, '03 Liberty GT, '06 Forester XT
Goon said:
If you want cooling types, have you tried Thermo's ? or Extractors?

Both :thumbsup:

HUH??? he's talking air filters or cold air intakes!!

VHSLX3300

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S Pac VH SL/X
i bought a 2.85 lt air intake box and tubing and made a cold air intake for my vh using the stock air filter and it woke it up a bit and makes it look stock under the hood so good for cop attension.