Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air horn install

rippen50

Braaap
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z UTE MY12.5
How is it done?... i have all the parts just would like to no if its easy enough to do it on your own
Thanks

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
I installed one onto my mitsubishi lancer a few months ago. The hardest part is finding room to mount them. I removed my alarm siren just to mount it :p. I also made a small bracket and drilled it into the firewall with a self tapping screw. Works fine.

Not sure about how you'll mount it into the holden engine bay as there isn't a huge deal of room to add trumpets and it'll be a real pain in the ass if yours is a 5 trumpet horn like mine :wax: Good luck with it :thumbsup:

As for the actual install, once all the horns and compressor are mounted you just get some 8mm hose (may have come with package) and soften the ends with hot water so it's easier to slip over the hole. So that should set all the actual horns up but then to wire it up, you need a separate switch from your car horn as it's illegal to replace your standard car horn with a air horn, and mount that somewhere in the dash. I just used a small round push switch. Pull your wiring through the firewall (harder than you'd think. I used a long metal wire to get 50/50 through then tied the wire onto the end of that and pulled through) and hook up your switch. I soldiered mine on so if your gonna do that, do it before you fully mount your switch.

Hook up your relay somewhere in the engine bay and put the other end of wire you ran through onto the relay. From there you can simply just run your negative wire onto a part of the chassis and you power through to the battery. Make sure your power wire doesn't touch the chassis when juiced up so try to keep it neat and tidy. You'll want to run a small fuse on your power wire too. You can get this and the switch from Jaycar for about $5-10 total depending on what switch you use.

Test it out and should all work. Good luck with it. If a 16 year old can do it, I'm sure you can.

Last edited:

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
did this already. EASY bro! all the wires are already down there. just plug the the new wires into the air pump. will instantly work. Take the wires from the current horn

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
As far as I was aware, you were not allowed to replace your current horn with an air horn. The air horn had to be fitted to a separate switch from your original so that your regular horn still works. That's why you can't use original wires.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
I installed one onto my mitsubishi lancer a few months ago. The hardest part is finding room to mount them. I removed my alarm siren just to mount it :p. I also made a small bracket and drilled it into the firewall with a self tapping screw. Works fine.

Not sure about how you'll mount it into the holden engine bay as there isn't a huge deal of room to add trumpets and it'll be a real pain in the ass if yours is a 5 trumpet horn like mine :wax: Good luck with it :thumbsup:

As for the actual install, once all the horns and compressor are mounted you just get some 8mm hose (may have come with package) and soften the ends with hot water so it's easier to slip over the hole. So that should set all the actual horns up but then to wire it up, you need a separate switch from your car horn as it's illegal to replace your standard car horn with a air horn, and mount that somewhere in the dash. I just used a small round push switch. Pull your wiring through the firewall (harder than you'd think. I used a long metal wire to get 50/50 through then tied the wire onto the end of that and pulled through) and hook up your switch. I soldiered mine on so if your gonna do that, do it before you fully mount your switch.

Hook up your relay somewhere in the engine bay and put the other end of wire you ran through onto the relay. From there you can simply just run your negative wire onto a part of the chassis and you power through to the battery. Make sure your power wire doesn't touch the chassis when juiced up so try to keep it neat and tidy. You'll want to run a small fuse on your power wire too. You can get this and the switch from Jaycar for about $5-10 total depending on what switch you use.

Test it out and should all work. Good luck with it. If a 16 year old can do it, I'm sure you can.

Yep thats pritty much what i did with my vs, but i installed the trumpets under the head lights near the front bumper (theres planety of room there), just using a few L shaped brackets.

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
As far as I was aware, you were not allowed to replace your current horn with an air horn. The air horn had to be fitted to a separate switch from your original so that your regular horn still works. That's why you can't use original wires.

YEP...............................................................................................
enough said.

Chooksie

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT brake fluid affected Commodore Executive
Has anyone used a truck air horn ie a MACK horn, or is everyone talking about those $50 ones from Auto One. I am currently trying to find out the volume of air that is needed to get about 5 medium length blasts from a resevoir tank holding between 110 - 150psi.

I dont know if that made sense but I need help!

email me at [email protected]

dah_man_ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Mazda 6
Speaking of putting airhorns in cars, is there any way to just grab one of those beastly sounding horns out of a VY Calais or Statesman and chuck it in a lower model (eg. executive, berlina etc)?

Cheers people.

aussietrucker82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
anyone wouldn't know where to place the air tank for the air horns