Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AIR iNTAKE MOD (GOOD OR BAD?)

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
just experimenting with the air intake on a vy commodore. would this setup work to my advantage? ive seen this on another car before. ive cut the bottom of the snorkel to let air in through the grill and into the air intake rather than trying to cram it all under the closed hood.

Attachments

• DSC01847.jpg
    DSC01847.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,015

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
much of a muchness really IMO ideally if u can gettin air from under the car would b better as it would b colder aswell.

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
much of a muchness really IMO ideally if u can gettin air from under the car would b better as it would b colder aswell.

i had that setup too but i realised that when the sun heated the road id be taking in warmer air than what it would be 4 feet off the ground. its like when you look down the road in a distance on a hot day and you see blurry objects. thats due to light bending as it travels through into warmer air, hence proving that air which is closer to the road is in fact hotter... so i changed my setup to this one.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Travelling at 80km/h is there enough difference in intake temperatures though whether the air is coming in from near the ground or at the intake grille?

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
Travelling at 80km/h is there enough difference in intake temperatures though whether the air is coming in from near the ground or at the intake grille?

not at 80km/h but more likely taking off from a traffic light

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Wouldn't matter, the air just above the road even on a warm day would be cooler that the air in your engine bay. I'd be trying out some sort of front bar air intake mod. That's if you want to start cutting bits and pieces.

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
Wouldn't matter, the air just above the road even on a warm day would be cooler that the air in your engine bay. I'd be trying out some sort of front bar air intake mod. That's if you want to start cutting bits and pieces.

the were other problems too i.e the pipe leading from the air box to the ground would sit just behind the radiator and it would get very hot hence heating the air inside the tube

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
i did this in my VZ (i'm not 100% sure if the VY front bumper is the same underneath).

Run an induction pipe (the springy flexible ones), down behind your headlight, there is a smallish opening that will lead you to the bottom section of your front bumper where your foglight sits.

From there you can put a 90degree bend, face it towards the road and it should pop out just underneath your front bumper, sucking air in as you move :)

Just be careful you don't run over a curb when parking and bust the pipe out like i did.....