Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air temperature sensor on VN s1....idle issues?!?

Susanna

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
Hello all
My VN has been running all good....till this morning....doesn't like the cold . It tends to stall/hesitate asap you press the throttle a bit. Do we need to install a new air temperature sensor?. Oil I'm using is 20/50. It's got great acceleration,but I've noticed the idle I'd on occassions irratic...yes I've installed new IAC motor,new TPS,new leads and plugs, pcv valve all cleaned up.
Just found out its got a power chip memcal....are they good or ##!@. I do have caused and sports exhaust.

One at a time....idle issues/, hesitate...anyone experienced the same....if so what's the cause and fix please.
Thanking you all in advance for your help!!!!

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Hello all
Do we need to install a new air temperature sensor?. .

Just found out its got a power chip memcal....are they good or ##!@. I do have caused and sports exhaust.

No Air temp. sensor on a VN.
Looking for trouble changing the chip,some kinda work, some stuff everything up particulary when Cam timing is off with lobe wear and sloppy lifters.
I would start by installing a standard Computer,$50 at a wrecker, and see if it makes a difference.
Also symptoms you describe sound like contaminated fuel or a partially blocked/faulty fuel pump or even a faulty injector.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No Air temp. sensor on a VN.
Looking for trouble changing the chip,some kinda work, some stuff everything up particulary when Cam timing is off with lobe wear and sloppy lifters.
I would start by installing a standard Computer,$50 at a wrecker, and see if it makes a difference.
Also symptoms you describe sound like contaminated fuel or a partially blocked/faulty fuel pump or even a faulty injector.

Well that's not strictly true, it has an air temp sensor but it is located in the manifold. It will be covered in oil/gunk like the rest of the inside of the intake manifold but most likely not the cause of the trouble and it can't hurt to clean it but it's at the back of the manifold and can be a PITA to get to.

If the car has been running fine previously I'd not be so quick to blame the tune.

How old is the fuel filter? how dirty is the air filter? Have you cleaned out the throttle body? Have you tried an idle reset?

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Well that's not strictly true, it has an air temp sensor but it is located in the manifold. It will be covered in oil/gunk like the rest of the inside of the intake manifold but most likely not the cause of the trouble and it can't hurt to clean it but it's at the back of the manifold and can be a PITA to get to.

I stand corrected,we always called it the MAT sensor.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Well yes a MAT sensor, manifold air temperature but it does the same job as the Air intake temperature sensor just a different location and the MAT has a real influence on the fuelling too.

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
If it's like a loping idle check fuel injector o rings for Air leaks. A few drops of water on bottom of injector if it sucks it in you have air leak. Not to much water though. Check also manifold gaskets.