Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air under the pedal of my VS Series II 3.8L Please help

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
ruredi said:
hey yeah I think it could be something to do with that...because ive noticed when I go through the gears manually its very hesitant or takes a while to kick in to 3rd and 4th. How could this problem be fixed...?

service your transmission, perhaps a shiftkit too.... with a few other goodies... stally, corvette servos....... just an idea but all cost $$$.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
or if you have a grand or two, get a reconditioned tranny thrown in [ doesnt the VT one work in the VS? ]

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
ruredi said:
Hi Fellas howz it goin...?

Got this problem with my VS (Series II 3.8L Auto)...Jump on the freeway and once I hit between 95-100km it instantly feels like there is air under the pedal. The note of the engine changes and it kinda makes it hard to sit on 100 if you know what I mean. It sounds empty and it just goes quite. I have a redback 2.5 sports exhaust fitted so its very noticable. While at that speed, I boot it and the pedal is all air and it will take around 8-9 seconds before I get a response from it. around the street its fine. If ive already booted it from low speed building up speed to 100 it wont do it...it just rockets past 100 its only when I go onto the freeway and edge onto 100 to sit there. It's quite annoying. I've recently done a service on it. Oil, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, Top Gun Leads, Plugs, K & N Filter, New Power steering pump & CAI. Cleaned out the throttle body and IAC. any help on this would be much appreaciated...you guys have always managed to figure out what it is so I doubt you will have any trouble with this one.

Cheers, Joe:thumbsup:

Re-reading your post - you're not confusing this with the normal operation where once the car reaches cruising speed - above 80kph in D, the torque converter locks solid and the pedal can feel kind of dead?. This lockup happens after the speed has remained the same for a few seconds and the idea is the auto box is now 'solid' and drive is direct to the back wheels - this saves fuel. I'm not sure, but I'd guess that the computer (ECU) recognises you are in D, above 80kph and the converter is locked so it does something to the throttle (electronically) so that small pedal movements have no effect on the speed.....sort of de-sensitises the pedal. Dunno if you understand what I'm trying to say but in a nutshell I think maybe what you are experiencing is normal. (hope so!)

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 SS V Z Series Manaul Sportwagon
hako said:
Re-reading your post - you're not confusing this with the normal operation where once the car reaches cruising speed - above 80kph in D, the torque converter locks solid and the pedal can feel kind of dead?. This lockup happens after the speed has remained the same for a few seconds and the idea is the auto box is now 'solid' and drive is direct to the back wheels - this saves fuel. I'm not sure, but I'd guess that the computer (ECU) recognises you are in D, above 80kph and the converter is locked so it does something to the throttle (electronically) so that small pedal movements have no effect on the speed.....sort of de-sensitises the pedal. Dunno if you understand what I'm trying to say but in a nutshell I think maybe what you are experiencing is normal. (hope so!)

Yeah it does sound practical what your saying but it never used to do it before and on other commodores I drive it doesnt do it. I think it may be my exhaust because it seems to have all the effect somehow its hard to explain. But when i let my foot off the accelerator and let it decrease speed it makes this noise from the exhaust...hard to explain but see if you can make sense of this..."mmmm...mmmm....mmm...mmmm...mmm" like its frequent and its got like 1 second intervals...??

VS CALAIS

M6 VF SSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6spd Manual
just a thought .... trans slip maybe ??

mess666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0L BT1
Have you got cruise control? If so, rip out the fuse for it and see if it still does it.

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
mess666 said:
Have you got cruise control? If so, rip out the fuse for it and see if it still does it.

no cruise control its only an exec.

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Ohh yessss low grumbles! Not the exhaust, i can promise you that! I get the same thing. No matter how far down you put the pedal to the floor, there's no kick down, and only gradual increase in speed. From what i've felt it is the tranny. Double tap the accelerator pedal, usually kicks down, but best to get a tranny service. Lol i'm getting one done tomorrow as a matter of fact! Will tell you if that little thing happens again. Haha how mean does it sound when you have backed off the accelerator to about 85-90 still in 4th and you get that grumble! lol i like it! Anyways, will update you in a couple days to let you know how it went.

Cheers,
Boojakz.

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
boojak87 said:
Ohh yessss low grumbles! Not the exhaust, i can promise you that! I get the same thing. No matter how far down you put the pedal to the floor, there's no kick down, and only gradual increase in speed. From what i've felt it is the tranny. Double tap the accelerator pedal, usually kicks down, but best to get a tranny service. Lol i'm getting one done tomorrow as a matter of fact! Will tell you if that little thing happens again. Haha how mean does it sound when you have backed off the accelerator to about 85-90 still in 4th and you get that grumble! lol i like it! Anyways, will update you in a couple days to let you know how it went.

Cheers,
Boojakz.

hey thanks mate...just quickly whats involved in a transmission service and whats the cost...?