Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Vent controls not working

VLmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 333
Hi all. I have been told by my Mechanic that the in-car heating system needs to be operational for my VL to pass road worthy (windscreen demister mainly). When he inspected the car, the heater hoses were not connected. They are now, however, when I backfill the heater inlet hose, it fills up and poors out, meaning that the heater core valve is shut (I made sure the heater / a/c control unit is switched to heat, but makes no difference). What makes the valve open then. On top of this the vents are permanently switched to the dash vents. I adjust the vent settings but it remains as. All the venting hoses are connected to the control unit, however, I note that the vacuum tank at the front of the car is not connected, does this make a difference. In essence I have NO idea how the in-car heating / venting system works. And it is dam hard to find some laymans terms on this. (just FYI, the a/c ha been removed, and the car is v8, if that makes any difference). sorry for long post, but there is a lot to jam in. Any help would be great.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
connect up the vac tank its for the heater controls

VLmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 333
Cool, thought it had something to do with it. Does it connect up to the heater core somewhere and does it have to be bled, or vacuum pressured. Or just connect up and a way you go. Does the vacuum tank also have implications for the vent ducting controls??
cheers

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
The vacuum tank is there so the settings don't change when you plant your foot and manifold vacuum is low.

Only 1 hose connects to the vacuum tank.

Has the heater been disabled for a reason ?
Maybe leaky heater core ?

VLmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 333
Hi there. RE: Vacuum tank: Yes there is a small piece of hose still connected but it has been cut and the rest discarded. I will get a new one, just need to know where to connect up other end (to manifold then?).

The thermostat housing had been swapped out to one that has no twin-port. The two ports on the water pump was then capped of. I have seen this plenty of times before, a lot of guys do it on the 308s because you can still successfully run the engine cooling system, and not have four extra black hoses making you engine bay look ugly... apparently. just a cleaner look. negative is that you have no in-car heating. So this could be the reason the heater was disconnected..... OR

as for the heater core....leaky..... possibly (dam hope not), not sure how to check at moment, as I cant get valve open to let water in.
Thanks