Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

airbag cover unroadworthy?

VSSS_5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5L
My uncle had this problem on his VS, and he's not the type to screw around with stuff himself, so he paid a mechanic or some such about 400 bucks to fix it....I would hope the mechanic didn't just glue it down.

Does gluing it down impede the function of the airbag in the event of an accident?

yeeeezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VZ Calais (on P's)
not sure if this would work but.
would it be possible to get a cover from a new model or somthing and use it for your cars.. even if you have to work and mould it a bit.
if so theres an idea for you guys

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
No. Covers from newer models have completely different dimensions.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I wouldn't want to lay a bet that any modifications made to the airbag, even if only cosmetic, will cause a fail in a roadworthy check. Once you change any part of something that is covered by the ADR you are supposed to get an engineers certificate of compliance otherwise you are in breach of the ADR. All government regulations are complex and open to interpretation - the following suggests that airbags can be removed if they were optional equipment (as were VR-VS)
I just had a quick search and found this at the SA transport site:

Airbag as Standard Equipment
If an airbag system is standard equipment on a particular vehicle model or variant it must be present,
complete and operational. (The airbag is considered essential for maintaining the vehicle’s compliance
with the ADRs.)
Optional Airbag in Vehicle Required to Meet ADR 69/..
If a vehicle was required to meet ADR 69/.. and it was originally fitted with an airbag that was optional
equipment on that particular model or variant, the airbag need not be present, complete or operational
provided the vehicle is fitted with all equipment (eg steering wheel, steering column, seat belts) that would
have been fitted had the vehicle been originally manufactured without the airbag; i.e. the vehicle must be
shown to still comply with the requirements of ADR 69/..
Optional Drivers Airbag in Vehicle Not Required to Meet ADR 69/..
For a vehicle not required to meet ADR 69/.. and originally fitted with a driver’s airbag that was optional
equipment, it need not be present, complete or operational provided the impact energy absorption
characteristics of the steering wheel and steering column are equivalent to those of the non-airbag variant;
i.e. the vehicle must comply with the requirements of ADR 10/..
Optional Passenger Airbag in Vehicle Not Required to meet ADR 69/..
For a vehicle not required to meet ADR 69/.. and originally fitted with a passenger airbag that was optional
equipment, it need not be present, complete or operational

So I dunno.....mine ain't lifting and I'm happy about that!

bigmicky22

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr BT1 5lt
whats the best glue to use to make sure it never comes off again lol!!!