Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Airbag failure - crash

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
So...my beautiful beast was sandwiched in a crash recently. I'm OK but it isn't. Interestingly enough the dash said 'airbag failure' or 'Airbag fault' or something to that effect. The car was full of white smoke, almost like a poppadum was microwaved for 10 minutes, as though the airbag failed? It wasn't high speed, but hard.

Does it sound like the airbags should have gone off, but didn't? Is this unusual? I know it's probably a question for Holden but wondering if anyone would happen to know.
VE series 1.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
the airbags most likely deployed and then deflated before you realised
that is what they are supposed to do
they are so quick that without a slow motion camera you will never see it

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
The big flat bags should be a giveaway if they went off properly

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
So I am assuming the airbags have gone off but to you, they look like they came out flat? I remember a story of airbags very early on when airbags were a new thing. A lady was in an accident and had the car towed to Holden to show them they failed to inflate. The person at the dealership lifted the flat airbag and there was a lipstick mark on the air bag where she kissed it whilst inflated.

The white powder is like talc powder to make sure the surfaces of the airbag don't stick together whilst being filled with gas. A mate of mine thought his car had a fire when his went off in an accident.

Sorry about your car BUT glad you're ok.

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
Sorry I should have clarified what happened with the airbag. It never deployed, all the trim is in place. I don't know whether it was supposed to deploy, maybe the 'airbag fault' is due to damage, but I can't work out what the instant smoke and smell was from...