Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Airbag light in 98 VT commodore

JoeFish

Reaction score
Website
www.nuciforacarcare.com
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
oh man, that is what I need replaced, the clock spring. They put another air bag in and the light still comes on. They also connected it to this computer and ran tests for it but they couldn't figure it out.

Are the clock Springs expensive or is it the labor that costs so much?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
oh man, that is what I need replaced, the clock spring. They put another air bag in and the light still comes on. They also connected it to this computer and ran tests for it but they couldn't figure it out.

Are the clock Springs expensive or is it the labor that costs so much?
A new clock spring is expensive, I know that the ones that cater for the audio controls as well are around $300. Not much involved in installing it though.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Got this issue in my car. Randomly came on one night whilst driving and has hung around since.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You need to see someone who has a scantool (holden -Tech 2) that can access the SRS system.There will be a certain SRS error code logged to show what has set the SRS dashlight off and where the problem may be..The SRS logs codes similar to the ECU.

JoeFish

Reaction score
Website
www.nuciforacarcare.com
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
That's what I got done to my car, but apparently the can't find out what the error really is. they deleted it and the error still came on. It's kind of hard to understand because it wasn't a common error or something shiz.

But i got the airbag replaced it and it still occurs, must need to get the spring replaced. I need it done because im going to sell my car soon.

Crab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exectutive v6
I've had this problem for a little while, I've read it can be the seatbelt pretensioner plugs, they were a bit caroded, after cleaning them the fault is still there, do I now need to disconnect the battery to clear the fault?
Or just crack on & rip out the steering wheel & look at the clock spring??

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I've had this problem for a little while, I've read it can be the seatbelt pretensioner plugs, they were a bit caroded, after cleaning them the fault is still there, do I now need to disconnect the battery to clear the fault?
Or just crack on & rip out the steering wheel & look at the clock spring??

It could be quite a few different things, only way to find out is to use a scantool and find out what the problem is.
Then fix the problem and have a scantool clear the codes.

Once a code is set in the SRS module it stays there until it is cleared by a scantool, there is no other way.
Pulling it apart and looking/replacing things is pointless unless you know what the fault is.

Crab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exectutive v6
Cheers mate, just can't justify the $88 Holden dealer charges just to plug his tool in,

My life long support for Holden is fading fast

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
There are forum members with scantools around, maybe one in your area will chime in and offer a cheaper service.

Alternatively you could buy your own cable and use it on a laptop From Here
If you can justify a one off cost and then have a useful bit of kit for yourself and friends when the need arises on any VT-VZ.

Dirty hobo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt00
A new clock spring is expensive, I know that the ones that cater for the audio controls as well are around $300. Not much involved in installing it though.
Where is the clock spring is it in cluster?