Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

airbag light on cluster, airbags having gone off tho?

commivx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx SPAC S2 yellow
hello everyone, my vx s2 SPAC has an red airbag light showing up on the cluster but car was never in a crash or the bags were never set off, why is it on? is there a way to fix?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
The ECU has obviously thrown a code showing there is a possible fault somewhere in the air bag circuit.
Take it to a Holden dealer asap to have it checked out and the fault deleted.

mbicknell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
have you disconnected any wires near the seats or have any come loose? I installed a sound system in my vy ute and removed the seat without disconnecting the battery and when I put it all back together it through my airbag light in the cluster. you are going to have to take it to someone with a tech machine to find out exactly and to get it cleared. that's what I had to do anyway.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sorry

Best to get codes checked

Sent from my HTC Aria using Tapatalk II.IV.X

madcapmagician

Phatburger fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VXII Berlina 3.8
Just fixed the same problem with my VXII Berlina. Very common problem - almost sure to be the clock spring behind the steering wheel. Got a new one off ebay and fitted it - then the interesting bit. The fault code is stored in the computer and requires re-setting. I own a scan tool which can reset the fault codes - plug it in and problem gone. And, my steering wheel controls all work again!

commivx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx SPAC S2 yellow
hmmm ok thanks, how much is a TECH 2? can't really take my car anywhere atm :/ still need to get the RWC for it, thats why i need the problem fixed.

EDIT: just relised how much they cost! way out of my price range lmao :/

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
hmmm ok thanks, how much is a TECH 2? can't really take my car anywhere atm :/ still need to get the RWC for it, thats why i need the problem fixed.

EDIT: just relised how much they cost! way out of my price range lmao :/

A TECH2 is only economically valid if you are doing a lot of work they are around $800ish (not sure if thats new or used)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
A TECH2 is only economically valid if you are doing a lot of work they are around $800ish (not sure if thats new or used)

A brand new tech 2 kit costs around $400 to $450 delivered. Have a look at the kits in the link below.. Heaps of people on here (including myself) have bought these kits from here. Youve only gotta use them a few times before theyve paid for themselves, as holden usually charge around $80 just to plug one in and read/clear codes etc.

Wholesale gm tech2 Gallery - Buy Low Price gm tech2 Lots on Aliexpress.com

commivx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx SPAC S2 yellow
thank you for the link mate, might look into getting one from there, seem a lot cheaper then other places I looked. :)

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Some people with V8's have had success clearing air bag codes with cheap usb cables. I bought my cable for $14 and it has done everything so far but I've had no air bag problems to clear yet. The V8 is OBD2 and I'm pretty sure the VX V6 uses ALDL with OBD plug???? Or just OBD 1??? So I can't confirm whether this will work on yours. http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/193251-how-reset-engine-light-airbag-codes-using-elm327-usb.html

Check under your seats to make sure everything is plugged in properly, easily bumped by feet or vacuum cleaner. Otherwise I would suspect clock spring. Scan tool will tell all. Read about halfway down for clock srping: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/162723-how-change-clock-spring-vt.html