Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Airbags

Kingjbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM s2 Caprice 3.6
Hey guys, I want to lower my car, im considering bags for just the rear. Should I get the suspension done before or after I buy wheels? Looking at 20" wheels so I know I can't slam it all round. Anyone run rears only with maybe SL springs in the front?

New to the vz so I appreciate the help :) thanks

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I don't recommend it because with sports shocks they don't work too well. If you had some shocks desinged for a air spring they would work quite well.
In saying that they will work

Kingjbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM s2 Caprice 3.6
I don't recommend it because with sports shocks they don't work too well. If you had some shocks desinged for a air spring they would work quite well.
In saying that they will work

Thanks mate, so you mean to replace the shocks in the rear as well? i would go and get them installed by a professional so im sure they would sort that out. Im just wanting to keep the front on normal springs. I would definitely get shortened shocks along with the lowering springs for the front.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Thanks mate, so you mean to replace the shocks in the rear as well? i would go and get them installed by a professional so im sure they would sort that out. Im just wanting to keep the front on normal springs. I would definitely get shortened shocks along with the lowering springs for the front.

The front is simple because it's been done 1 million times.
The rear however people don't do straight bags that often. There's no real advantage other than if you have the back full of people you can raise the rear up.
A straight air bag is a variable rate spring yes the behive coils in the rear of a commodore technically are too but not like a air bag.
So they'll be real soft over transient bumbs like on high ways where you go up then down slowly but when you get a big compression in the rear they'll get real hard. This is why you need good shocks to control them something like a sachs.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Get the suspension done after you put the wheels on so you can set the height of your springs to what the car sits like.

Drop in bags for the rear are a piece of piss to install, shortened shocks or standard will both work. If you've got the shocks out to replace the bags are easier to put in but do-able with them still in place.