Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

airbox to throttle body

vs_dumped

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
hey all, just want to know if anyone has removed the rubber rippled pipe between the airflow meter and the throttle body and replaced it with large steel pipe (turbo piping etc) as i have read it works well to increase throttle response/airflow etc on an RB30. Just wondering if anyone has done it on an ecotec? Thanks

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i cant see it making that much of a noticable difference. when i bought a k&n pod for my old vn calais it came in a pack with a new intake pipe made out of some sort of steel and all it did compared to when i tryed with the plastic pipe was make the pod sound louder. i couldnt notice much else with it on.

ssmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss thunder
wouldnt say it would give u much power?
as sircruisealotVS said prolly just make it sound bit louder and give ya engin back a nicer look

if ur thinkin bout doing something for power, my mate just had a adapoter made up that from the throttel body that holds twin pods, looks great under there and improves power!

should be getting one soon myself

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
the standard intake probably flows more then enough to supply the stock engine. fitting a smooth intake tract probably aids in providing a smoother/less turbulant air flow to the engine. i'd suggest sheilding the intake from the exhaust heat as any improvement in dropping the itake temp should provide gains in power/economy. nothing youy would notice however by the old seat of the pants feeling

vs_dumped

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
yer i know it ist going to give any more power i just read on calaisturbo.com.au that it improves throttle response, anyway thanks for the info!!

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
It would improve throttle response on a turbo as the air flow is greater and under pressure. It would make a slight difference to NA motors.

Anton

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0 VQ Statesman
wouldnt a metal pipe absorb heat from the engine bay as opposed to the plastic pipe insulating?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
it wouldpossibly give a slight increase in throttle responce, just like fitting a pod filter does. again, to stop the intake tube from absorbing heat wrap it with header wrap. might not look as cool but should do the trick. the K&N intake upgrade for the gen III includes a smooth plastic intake pipe/pod filter/heatsheild. so if k&n do it it's got to be worth something

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
if k&n do it it's got to be worth something

Maybe so but I think it would be 2/5ths of fu*k all, just have a look at the price of K&N filters, 100+ bucks for something that will give maybe a 2-5kw increase in power, biggest rip off out. Ive got 2 K&Ns a pod and a panel and the only advantage I can see is you can oil the filter instead of replacing it. Not worth the money IMO, each to their own I guess.