Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aircon compressor whine

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by losh1971, Feb 8, 2019.

1. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I have been chasing a whine and thought it was the tensioner pulley. I had two mechs check it out one said he couldn't figure it out the other said it's probably the tensioner pulley. I think it its the aircon compressor. The noise seems to be worst down low and from what I can tell is noisiest from the front of the engine.
    Question is why would an aircon compressor make a whine? It will be a $1000 job to have it replaced. Wondering if there is anything I can do myself or a mech can do cheaper than fitting a new unit.

2. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
  3. Wozza

Wozza Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR_GS commodore
    Cost me $50 and an Hr to replace the aircon compressor ..would only hold gas for a mth or 2 and whined like my missus did when the aircon didnt work ...The replacement whined worse but the the missus didnt as the aircon now worked better and lasted the whole summer so win for team wozza... but no chicken dinner :D

woteva and VS 5.0 like this.
  4. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Mine has held gas for 18 months and its still nice and cold on a 38deg day. Rather than a regas i will see about getting the bearing replaced. I looked online for VP-VR compressors and they are between 500 and 600 bucks.

5. Wozza

Wozza Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR_GS commodore
    Thousands of em at the wreckers..just get one that hasnt been open to air for weeks or mths ....to work out the whine get the shorter serpentine belt and by-pass aircon....Ive been doing that for years over winter to get the extra 1/10th HP to get out of the way of skidding P platers ;)
    never done the bearing change as heard it can be a pig...

6. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    The VP thread linked makes it look fairly straight forward. A regas is 150 bucks. At a guess for 220 bucks i can have the bearing replaced by the aircond tech near work. Be 100 bucks down here for a compressor with no guarantee it hasn't been on there for 25 years and have the same problems within a few months mine has.

7. Wozza

Wozza Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR_GS commodore
    bloody hell you pay a lot for regas, the bloke I use only charges between 75 and 90$ ...then again he was doing it every 2mths before it got fixed :) prob put his first born through collage...Check the 2nd hand compressor for discoloring from oil leaks and any wrecker worth his ??? salt (never understood what that meant) will plug the gas hose holes with something....its just the oil in em is hyperbolic and sucks up moisture

8. the_boozer

the_boozer no more VK

Members Ride:
    Prado
    buy a short serp belt and delete the ac its just shorter the comp can stay there. There cant be to many hot days left till next summer? Pop the belt of and spin the pulleys?

9. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Somene is worth their pay....apparently dates back to Roman times when soldiers were paid in salt !

10. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    you need aircon down here in the winter. The heater alone is not enough to stop the windows fogging up when its minus 10deg. The aircon drys the air in the cab.

11. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    The aircon also unfreezes a windscreen in around 6-7 mins. The demister on its own can take 20.

12. vs-lover

vs-lover Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
    Hi Losh,

The VS that belongs to my son that I've been working on for a month now has the exact same symptoms as yours. It whines down low and not up high. I too was thinking of obtaining another unit from U-pull-it but with that you just don't know what you're really getting as you could just end up with another bag of issues and then the extra cost of re-gassing. All this Ozone depleting legislation has just driven the prices up through the roof.

I'm going to do the front bearing replacement myself and we'll then see if that solves it.

Sorry but I just can't justify buying a brand new compressor for a $300 vehicle, well that's what I paid for it off some non intelligent owner that told me it had a blown diff when it was a seized RH rear brake caliper that had a 5mm thick rotor being gouged unmercifully by a pad backing plate.

13. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Yeah like yours under load it quitens down. Also less noise with aircon running. Im considering trying to do the job myself. Thing that's stopping me is having my main tools, press etc 130km away from where i mostly live now. Plus the city is over an hr away and hard to get too if i don't have transport.

14. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Whine is usually the alternator on those. Location of sound can be difficult to pinpoint. Does it get louder if you turn headlights/accessories on?

15. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    No it gets quieter. Any load on the engine lessens the noise. I thought it was alt bearing but it is smooth as.

16. Lex

Lex Active Member

Members Ride:
    VT Executive S1 V6 Auto Wagon
    My thinking is, if l don't fix it, whats it going to cost me for another car? And what is going to be wrong with it, & what is it going to cost me to fix it.
    The day you buy it everything seems okay. After a week everything seems to break.

17. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Can't speak for the VS but the VR compressors are pretty good and they last a long time. $50 bearing verses $600 for a new compressor plus $250 for a regas and accumulator, I know what option I'm taking. I'm with VS-Lover just repair what's there before forking out the big money.

vs-lover likes this.
  18. Lex

Lex Active Member

Members Ride:
    VT Executive S1 V6 Auto Wagon
    I need to replace a few parts on my ac. To to de-gas & re-gas when l've done the work is $60.00

19. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    How is that? Accumulator is around $100 and regas is $150 in Launceston. In Adelaide 12 years ago I was paying $120 plus parts.

20. Wozza

Wozza Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR_GS commodore
    A lot of small car related business have done the aircon course and run a small regas setup out the back ;) lots of ppl doing it makes for cost reductions...
    drive around and you will see the signs for 90$ regas 2 streets down $80 and so forth....average price is around $90 pay more and your getting ripped off..