Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aircon compressor whine

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The aircon also unfreezes a windscreen in around 6-7 mins. The demister on its own can take 20.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi Losh,

The VS that belongs to my son that I've been working on for a month now has the exact same symptoms as yours. It whines down low and not up high. I too was thinking of obtaining another unit from U-pull-it but with that you just don't know what you're really getting as you could just end up with another bag of issues and then the extra cost of re-gassing. All this Ozone depleting legislation has just driven the prices up through the roof.

I'm going to do the front bearing replacement myself and we'll then see if that solves it.

Sorry but I just can't justify buying a brand new compressor for a $300 vehicle, well that's what I paid for it off some non intelligent owner that told me it had a blown diff when it was a seized RH rear brake caliper that had a 5mm thick rotor being gouged unmercifully by a pad backing plate.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah like yours under load it quitens down. Also less noise with aircon running. Im considering trying to do the job myself. Thing that's stopping me is having my main tools, press etc 130km away from where i mostly live now. Plus the city is over an hr away and hard to get too if i don't have transport.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Whine is usually the alternator on those. Location of sound can be difficult to pinpoint. Does it get louder if you turn headlights/accessories on?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No it gets quieter. Any load on the engine lessens the noise. I thought it was alt bearing but it is smooth as.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Sorry but I just can't justify buying a brand new compressor for a $300 vehicle
My thinking is, if l don't fix it, whats it going to cost me for another car? And what is going to be wrong with it, & what is it going to cost me to fix it.
The day you buy it everything seems okay. After a week everything seems to break.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My thinking is, if l don't fix it, whats it going to cost me for another car? And what is going to be wrong with it, & what is it going to cost me to fix it.
The day you buy it everything seems okay. After a week everything seems to break.
Can't speak for the VS but the VR compressors are pretty good and they last a long time. $50 bearing verses $600 for a new compressor plus $250 for a regas and accumulator, I know what option I'm taking. I'm with VS-Lover just repair what's there before forking out the big money.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
How is that? Accumulator is around $100 and regas is $150 in Launceston. In Adelaide 12 years ago I was paying $120 plus parts.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
A lot of small car related business have done the aircon course and run a small regas setup out the back ;) lots of ppl doing it makes for cost reductions...
drive around and you will see the signs for 90$ regas 2 streets down $80 and so forth....average price is around $90 pay more and your getting ripped off..