Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aircon compressor whine

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
$500 is crazy money for a car that's worth $500.

I'd just get a good second hand one and fit it and regas. Should be under $200 total to do the job.

Obviously try the new bearing first though!

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
$500 is crazy money for a car that's worth $500.

This is exactly my point in a previous post regarding perception of old cars and high repair costs not being acceptable compared to newer high value cars being repaired at the same cost but it being considered as the norm. Generally the cost is no different between cars, it's just the mind set of old cars versus newer cars.

BTW....... EYY, Go easy on Losh, I'm sure he feels his car is worth a few bucks more than $500. You're making him want to throw a match at it. LOL ;)

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
You need to factor in sentimental value and intended use...my old man now in his mid 70's, has a 80's Jag, which he has spent close to 12K on. New running gear, paint touch ups, interior refresh...the market value is around $2.5 to $10k...Its his pride and joy (well after his fully restored series 1 landrover) and he will spend whatever it cost to keep it running and reliable...
Ive sunk easy 6k into my VR over the 8 years of ownership, no way Im ever going to recoop that money even if I manage to hang onto it another 10years. but its my POS and I love it ;)
Another thing to think about is a new $30+K car on finance is going to cost around $2700 a year in interest payments....so if I spend less than that a year Im already 30+K ahead of the muppet's that buy new ;)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
BTW....... EYY, Go easy on Losh, I'm sure he feels his car is worth a few bucks more than $500. You're making him want to throw a match at it. LOL ;)

I tell you yesterday I was ready to flog it for $2k and take a hit with the $1500 or more I have put into it over the last two years. Trouble is if I buy another $2k car it will be as bad or worse than what I have. My compressor is still fairly good. If the clutch is worn I will look at a low km SH comp and raid the clutch. The good thing is I have a month or so to sort it out as I have fitted the short belt. So if the mech says it needs more than a bearing it will still be mob until I source the bits needed to repair my comp.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You need to factor in sentimental value and intended use...my old man now in his mid 70's, has a 80's Jag, which he has spent close to 12K on. New running gear, paint touch ups, interior refresh...the market value is around $2.5 to $10k...Its his pride and joy (well after his fully restored series 1 landrover) and he will spend whatever it cost to keep it running and reliable...
Ive sunk easy 6k into my VR over the 8 years of ownership, no way Im ever going to recoop that money even if I manage to hang onto it another 10years. but its my POS and I love it ;)
Another thing to think about is a new $30+K car on finance is going to cost around $2700 a year in interest payments....so if I spend less than that a year Im already 30+K ahead of the muppet's that buy new ;)

Agree I have sunk a lot into the old ute. Plus I have put in probably 100hrs or more of my own time. It's gone from a pretty shabby bus to a fairly tidy unit. Like Wozza says new car means finance plus new cars tend to have more expensive servicing costs given the additional costs of the higher rated fluid types newer vehicles need. I also look at it this way, that I have saved $400 or $500 in freight for materials for my house build. Plus I saved $600 with my last trip to Adelaide as I didn't have to cough up for a trailer which is around three times the cost of bring the ute over. Another thing is VR used parts are about as cheap as anything gets when it comes to wreckers. Be good if I could do a bit more myself and save on labour and maybe down the track I will.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Don't mean to offend anybody - just calling a spade a spade. I know my vs isn't worth heaps too lol don't worry. Some day that'll probably change, but that's the beauty of them. They're all at the wreckers because they've hit rock bottom in the current market - which means that parts availability and pricing of second hand parts is awesome.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Aircon is fixed. Place charged me $236 to replace the bearing, 2hrs work, ouch.... I am glad it's fixed, even in Tas you need aircon as driving with the windows down on dirt roads really sucks. The time to remove the bearing made up a fair amount of the total as the circlip wears into the groove in the clutch apparently.

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
the circlip wears into the groove in the clutch apparently.

I still have to start my compressor with a roll of christmas paper if the motor is hot. (ie after being parked for 10-30 minutes before driving again.) It's fine if the compressor's already been running for a while, or generally if I'm starting from a cold motor.

Having never taken one apart, I'm wondering what causes the compressor clutch to apparently bind to it's shaft when hot. It's been untouched for up to 500,000km so age-related wear would make sense I'm thinking?