Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aircon compressor whine

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have been chasing a whine and thought it was the tensioner pulley. I had two mechs check it out one said he couldn't figure it out the other said it's probably the tensioner pulley. I think it its the aircon compressor. The noise seems to be worst down low and from what I can tell is noisiest from the front of the engine.
Question is why would an aircon compressor make a whine? It will be a $1000 job to have it replaced. Wondering if there is anything I can do myself or a mech can do cheaper than fitting a new unit.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Cost me $50 and an Hr to replace the aircon compressor ..would only hold gas for a mth or 2 and whined like my missus did when the aircon didnt work ...The replacement whined worse but the the missus didnt as the aircon now worked better and lasted the whole summer so win for team wozza... but no chicken dinner :D

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mine has held gas for 18 months and its still nice and cold on a 38deg day. Rather than a regas i will see about getting the bearing replaced. I looked online for VP-VR compressors and they are between 500 and 600 bucks.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Thousands of em at the wreckers..just get one that hasnt been open to air for weeks or mths ....to work out the whine get the shorter serpentine belt and by-pass aircon....Ive been doing that for years over winter to get the extra 1/10th HP to get out of the way of skidding P platers ;)
never done the bearing change as heard it can be a pig...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The VP thread linked makes it look fairly straight forward. A regas is 150 bucks. At a guess for 220 bucks i can have the bearing replaced by the aircond tech near work. Be 100 bucks down here for a compressor with no guarantee it hasn't been on there for 25 years and have the same problems within a few months mine has.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
bloody hell you pay a lot for regas, the bloke I use only charges between 75 and 90$ ...then again he was doing it every 2mths before it got fixed :) prob put his first born through collage...Check the 2nd hand compressor for discoloring from oil leaks and any wrecker worth his ??? salt (never understood what that meant) will plug the gas hose holes with something....its just the oil in em is hyperbolic and sucks up moisture

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
buy a short serp belt and delete the ac its just shorter the comp can stay there. There cant be to many hot days left till next summer? Pop the belt of and spin the pulleys?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
worth his ??? salt (never understood what that meant)

Somene is worth their pay....apparently dates back to Roman times when soldiers were paid in salt !

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
buy a short serp belt and delete the ac its just shorter the comp can stay there. There cant be to many hot days left till next summer? Pop the belt of and spin the pulleys?
you need aircon down here in the winter. The heater alone is not enough to stop the windows fogging up when its minus 10deg. The aircon drys the air in the cab.