Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aircon gas leak

Kirbs454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 Redline
Hi all.

Have an issue with my aircon loosing gas and the safety switch kick in and shuts off the aircon system. Its on a 09 SS Wagon.

Have had it gassed about 5 or 6 times, hoses replaced. Cannot see any dye leaking from anywhere. Compressor is working well, all the o rings have been replaced. Evaporator has been checked for leaks with a camera down a aircon vent and in the side of the box it sits in. Condenser isnt showing any leaks either.

The bloke who is doing the work is stumped on where its leaking, even gassed the system up to 300-400psi of nitrogen to see/hear a leak and nothing shows... Cant smell the gas or the dye through the aircon vents.

When the system is gassed with refrigerant it lasts about 3-5 days and the safety switch kicks in and shuts off the a/c. When it is gassed up it works fine without any issues, its just leaking somewhere.

Has anyone had or heard of a similar problem? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Kirbs

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I needed a new condensor in mine. The AirCon guy just walked up and said it will be the condensor, and it was. Apparently it's common on VE's so it might be that.

Kirbs454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 Redline
Yeah hes said the same thing. He doesn't want to throw parts at it just for the sake of it. Hes going to send some emails to other workshops to see if they've had a similar issue. And if no one knows, he said he'd do the condenser coz its the cheapest part to replace

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I recently noticed oil/dust on the underside of AirCon hose from the Condenser while I was check the dreaded VE font end groan/rattle, while I had the under body cover off,
it was the larger rubber hose of the 2, I am guess it's the return from the condenser [that sits in front of the radiator],
I am assuming its AirCon Oil, as there no other oil present under the car what so ever,
so I am guess its weeping, I may need to check the fittings when I change the oil next time soon.
or before its stops working.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If the aircon has dye added when it is gassed, if there is any leak it must be visible when using a UV black light. That’s why it’s added after all, to aid diagnosis.

So I’d think it is just a pain to check all parts well from all angles being how cars are built these days. But as @krusing says, some parts must be dismantled to get a better view. Maybe that was done, maybe not.

And ask if you mechanic has checked his UV black light actually makes the dye glow, maybe he has blown globe o_O he’ll obviously say yes (and then check it :p)

Also parts under/inside the dash can be a royal pain to check but supposedly the aircon drain plug should show a glowing dye if the evaporator, tx valve or associated o rings are leaking under there. This is assuming the aircon drain grommet actually does its job and directs water or dye out the car through the drain valve and is not simply blocked with crap (or leaking under the passenger side carpet as was the case in VF’s). In some older simpler models, one could insert a rod up the drain valve and then check the rod for dye. Maybe there are arthoscopes with UV light that can be used to get a better view of the underdash bits.

Refrigerant and dye can’t just evaporate into oblivion with no trace... your aircon mechanic simply need to look better ;)