Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aircon hose?

Jacob Maddison

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SV6 series 2
Hi all,
After some advice on what a hose is in my engine bay of a VE SV6 2012 series 2. Leaking water/coolant so i presume its split or cracked and the fluid is dripping onto the exhaust manifold and causing steam. Its located at the top back drivers side and has 2 identical hoses the same. One end goes into the engine bay the other i presume is going down and behind the engine block and maybe into the aircon unit but if someone knows what it is that would be great? Ill try and upload a pic 2 but it might not be the best as its dark outside.

Attachments

• 20200129_210206-756x1008.jpg
    20200129_210206-756x1008.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
They are both heater hoses, the Air Con pipes are over on the passengers side.
You can buy genuine [as they are 2 pieces, so that will be 4 Pipes] and they will rip you arms and legs off,
You may even get a bargain on eBay
Or
go to Supercheap and buy some STD heater hose [of the correct size] and cut them to length,

Tip: be careful of removing them from the heater core inlet/outlet pipes, so not to damage the actual heater core.

If you are removing them and NOT using them again, slice them with a Stanley knife or similar,
Careful not to scar the metal pipes,
and when fitting new hoses, smear a bit of gasket cement on the inside if the pipe,
that will help slide the pipe on, and will also help to seal it, so it wont leak.

Jacob Maddison

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SV6 series 2
20200129_210206-756x1008.jpg

They are both heater hoses, the Air Con pipes are over on the passengers side.
You can buy genuine [as they are 2 pieces, so that will be 4 Pipes] and they will rip you arms and legs off,
You may even get a bargain on eBay
Or
go to Supercheap and buy some STD heater hose [of the correct size] and cut them to length,

Tip: be careful of removing them from the heater core inlet/outlet pipes, so not to damage the actual heater core.

If you are removing them and NOT using them again, slice them with a Stanley knife or similar,
Careful not to scar the metal pipes,
and when fitting new hoses, smear a bit of gasket cement on the inside if the pipe,
that will help slide the pipe on, and will also help to seal it, so it wont leak.
Thanks mate thats some great information i will try it over the weekend! Just wondering if im better off buying them as a pair or just the one thats broken? Its the hose on the right of picture and looks like the longer one. Do you know if thats the inlet or outlet?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
View attachment 209125

Thanks mate thats some great information i will try it over the weekend! Just wondering if im better off buying them as a pair or just the one thats broken? Its the hose on the right of picture and looks like the longer one. Do you know if thats the inlet or outlet?

Its your call how you wish to do it,
It looks as if there is only just the 2 hoses, where on a V8 there is 4 hoses,
Based on the eBay images, and the GM fittings, best to purchase them both.
They range from a pair from $48 > $80 [Gates to OEM brands]
I have bought off sparesbox a fair few times for my 2 cars, otherwise shop around.
Link below that may help
https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=VE+V6+heater+hose&_sacat=0
But some old school advice, "replace the both of them" for what they are worth
Because you know the other one will fail at the most inconvenient time,
Either late at night, or out the BFN,
Then you will say, "S___, I should of changed them both" !
Do it once, do it properly !
We all hate doing things twice, and usually costs more time and money.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I got two from Holden. They weren't too damaging. Seemed cheap enough. The bit where they connect to the fire wall was the hardest part. The engine side comes away by pulling out the pins and lifting them off.
You will need to bleed the cooling system of air after the job.