Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aircon problem.

Anne Mason

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ 3.6ltr.Commodore Sedan
First time user to site, I don’t know if I am doing this right.I would like to get onto the forum.I have a 06 VZ 3.6ltr Commodore sedan. New Compressor, New Dryer, regassed. Picked car up, turned aircon on, had a burning smell,put tape along windscreen vents(not working anymore,)aircon stays cool for awhile, then gets hot, got to turn aircon off tor 5mins, then switch back on. Also has a musty smell. Please help!!!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The musty smell would be mould etc in the evaporator and inside the HVAC. Cleaning that is not easy. Ideally dash out and you can get into quite a bit of it to clean it.

The demister issue is resolved by replacing the vacuum actuator for the air flow door in the HVAC. Straight forward job.

As for the rest, it’s possible there is a leak and it’s low on gas. Maybe they didn’t get the oil into the compressor?

I’d be taking it back.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Sounds like it found a leak, take it back regardless. When the pressure drops it can allow it to run just briefly before dropping out each time it starts to circulate.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Did they put any fluorescent dye/oil in the system ?, that is the ONLY way to find a leak in an AC system.
If not, they should have, any decent/smart Fridgy would do that, since the system came in due to a leak,
I'd be head back and say its not working after you "tried" to fix it.
Since you paid for them to repair it, as it hasn't been repaired.