Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aircon vent Issues

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
My 2010 S1 VE Calais has a strange issue. Sometimes (80% of the time) when I turn the car on, the air doesn't come out of the chest high vents. comes out of the feet and windscreen no problems. If i hold the demister button for the 10 seconds, resets no problems. Also, if I turn to ignition setting, 90% time it works, but as soon as I start the car, it dies. Any idea what this would be? Is there a control module that is forgetting the settings when its turned off?
Same here
Turn the Ignition on then select or leave the fan selector on I have Air on my face but when I start the Engine the Air on my face goes off.

Trying to find a combination of what suit this issue.
Now I have Learning from Right to Left. (leave the selector set to right, windscreen)
1/ Press the Rear Demister until the you hear the very FIRST FLAP Moving and let it go immediately.
2/ The Vents selection was left on the Far right (Windscreen) then I move it to the Left to the last setting that on you Face ONLY and I do this before the first Cycle finishes then (I think as I might have done of forgot to do this) I then pressed the rear demister on and off again.

Today is the first time I have started the car and went shopping and stops and stated the car 5 times and the Air Con vent selection was Good.

Also I do this
1/ Before you turn the engine off turn off the radio.
2/ Before you turn the engine off turn the Air Conditioner off, then the Fan selector off

Now this is pain in the ars.e but if it works I will continually do it.

I still have a feeling that the leaning process is missing something

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
What if its not the module but the HVAC controls in the facia?
I'd be thinking after 4 swaps, the problem is not the module.
Lets move to the input of the module.

Can you swap the facia from the new red one? Is that a series 1 as well?
The facia doesn't need programming.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

Yes, Yes
The Red VE Air con is 100% perfect, Cant fault it anywhere.
I was just about to START to do this last week, so I remove the Facia of the Red VE but I stopped as all the 4 Plastic Lugs broke!! Yes I saw the 2 or 3 Video on Youtube and like it Say its Easy but none of them broke anything. Both cars are built one month apart and both are series 1.
To fix it I put a small amount of adhesive salistic on the 4 corners (Close to the 4 Corners) and it was held there by the power sockets + a small broom stuck until it dries.

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Same here
Turn the Ignition on then select or leave the fan selector on I have Air on my face but when I start the Engine the Air on my face goes off.

Trying to find a combination of what suit this issue.
Now I have Learning from Right to Left. (leave the selector set to right, windscreen)
1/ Press the Rear Demister until the you hear the very FIRST FLAP Moving and let it go immediately.
2/ The Vents selection was left on the Far right (Windscreen) then I move it to the Left to the last setting that on you Face ONLY and I do this before the first Cycle finishes then (I think as I might have done of forgot to do this) I then pressed the rear demister on and off again.

Today is the first time I have started the car and went shopping and stops and stated the car 5 times and the Air Con vent selection was Good.

Also I do this
1/ Before you turn the engine off turn off the radio.
2/ Before you turn the engine off turn the Air Conditioner off, then the Fan selector off

Now this is pain in the ars.e but if it works I will continually do it.

I still have a feeling that the leaning process is missing something

Took the effected Car (VE Anniversity) everywhere yesterday and over the 4 hour period I stated the car 10 times in 80 odd k's and it failed once to give me air on my Face. but this time I was in a Hurry on this stop only and did not allow the car to check itself before starting and I started the car one second later after putting the key in.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
What if its not the module but the HVAC controls in the facia?
I'd be thinking after 4 swaps, the problem is not the module.
Lets move to the input of the module.

Right!!
I remover the facia on the red VE

(PS: Re wrote it below as It made no sense, I was tired yesterday)

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have re written this as it made no sense, Yes I was tired and when I write tire I make plent of mistakes

Right!!

I remover the facia on the red VE and I removed the facia for the first time on the blue Anniversity. Yes I broke those 4 lugs but using a small amount of Adhesives silastic will fix it so what did i get on the Blue Anniversity before gluing the facia on? the same Shi.t. Out of 4 starts it Failed twice that 50% Failure.
Yes the Red Car Air Con has been perfect from day one so Now I have put back on the Original HVAC Module and the Facia, The Facia part Number is the same on both Facia's, EXACT Part Number so whats left to try. The Radio Head Unit? The ECU or the BCM.
By the way when turn the Ignition on with the Red Cars Facia on the blue car (Anniversity) I got this Message "Security Lock out. Active Vehicle Data Mismatch"
WHAT!!! for friggin facia, I though it for the Head unit was the security not the Facia. When I Put the Original Facia back in the message went away.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
what i do, we even took the arms off the actuators and tried to make it come out the chest vents it wouldn't do it so

any other ideas will be helpful :)
I think (someone correct me If I'm wrong) you have 3 Actuators on the Passengers side (globe Box side) and you have ONE up the top only on the Drivers side and that the one that blocks or opens the Air on your face.

Also you are right I have done everything, Swapped Facia from both cars swapped the HVAC Module and never spat out any codes. What sides did you remove the arms of the Actuator? the three on Passenger side or the one on the Drivers side.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
upload_2020-1-2_10-44-32.png

Actuator 12 is for the FACE/FLOOR.

(1) TX Valve Retaining Screws
(2) TX Valve Upper Retaining Plastic Retaining Cover
(3) TX Valve Insulator
(4) TX Valve
(5) Sealing Washer
(6) Evaporator
(7) Sealing Washer
(8) TX Valve Pipe Pad Retaining Stud
(9) Pipe Core Pipe Locating Plate
(10) Heater Core
(11) Heater Pipe Pass Through Seal
(12) Face/Floor Actuator
(13) Actuator Levers
(14) Wiring Harness
(15) Actuator Levers
(16) Air Mix Actuator
(17) HVAC Control Module
(18) Blower Motor And Fan Assembly
(19) Recirculation Actuator
(20) Blower Motor Housing
(21) Defrost Actuator
(22) Defrost Linkage

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
If I cant find this issue I will disconnect the Linkage for Actuator 12 and some how lock it open on the Face. I say if you disconnect the Actuator you will spit out codes so leave it connected and let it doing nothing. Also If you select something else and you don't want Air on you face you have the two thumb wheels to stop the air coming in via the face to stop it.
I will not spend $1000 as I was suggested to fix this issue because most Air Con business will change everything to find the issue and expect you to pay all because of not knowing where the issue is in the first place.
Holden Dealers, Stealer if you let them they will charge more than $1000.

Last edited:

hsvluva

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF V8 Calais
My issue can't be the facia as I have changed to a AERPRO dual zone fascia for my new head unit. Still the same issue. Have bought a second hand HVAC module so will change that. Otherwise I am stumped.