Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aircon

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
hey guy, i was kinda wondering, how does a aircon system work in a car? i mean, how does it get the air cold? just a general inquiry there

cheers
garth

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Very simply the A/C system needs 5 things to work. 1/ compressor 2/ condensor 3/ thermal expansion valve (tx valve) 4/ evaporator 5/ refrigerant.

The refrigerant is obvious.

Very basicaly,

The system starts by pumping/pressurising the refrigerant gas from the compressor through the condensor were the action of airflow over the condensor cools the refrigerant down. This turns the refrigerant into a liquid which then passes into the TX valve which then turns this liquid into a gas again. This gas (due to the laws of refrigeration) then removes the heat from the evaporator (thus cold air) and continues back to the compressor.

This is a very basic (as best as I can do at the moment anyway) way of explaining it. There obviously is a lot more to it and when I find a writing that explains it better I will rewrite it and then post it for you.

Regards GUY.