Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

aircondtioning question re-91 vn commodores

MrsSantaClaus

MrsSantaClaus
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN COMMODORE 91
Hi! Everyone Can you please help me with information in regards to the compressor of the aircondtioning system of 91 model Vn Commordore???...as to how to replace bearing and clutch??.Mine has started to make a screaming sound and the clutch looks like it is sticking a bit as it'll turn then stop turn then stop etc it even started smoking..it still cools though.Any information as to service,repair etc be mostly appreciated,and would It be the actual compressor itself or just the bearing???....I qouted a new compressor recently and they quoted me $800 yeah not exactly cheap...I'd appreciate any help,info etc as I am just a pensioner(Carer) and can't afford that.:bang: this is how I feel about it atm....AAAGH!!! CARS!!!!....

Thanks Guys!:)

Heidi>[email protected]
GOODNA QLD
(NEW MEMBER---21/10/06)

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
it sounds like the compressor is seazing on the inside if its only when you turn it on.
it wont be the bearing because it hasnt locked up and destroyed the drive belt.
an easy fix is dont use the a/c, but if you need it fixed get another compressor from the wreakers and have it fitted and re gased

we do ac at work and from what i understand you cant replace/ repair the clutch and bearing without destroying the compressor

Nikkojoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
AE86, VE M6 UTE, Toyota 86
My vn compressor had exactly the same problem. You will find that it's not worth changing the bearings and clutch as its cheaper to just find a good condition second hand compressor. I picked up a vr compressor (takes the new r134a gas) that had only done 70,000km for $40. Changed all my seals to take the new gas and got it re-gassed for $90. Works really well now :)

Just check that the main pully and the clutch spin freely and dont grinds or wobble/feel loose.

MrsSantaClaus

MrsSantaClaus
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN COMMODORE 91
:) Thankyou NikkoJoe and others that replied to my ? about the Vn Compressor air cond prob I was having.

Yes it is indeed expensive to change a compressor new isn't it couldn't believe it.Managed to pick one up at a wreckers for $45 at Wacol.Yeah I was told over the ph I'd have to change it over the seals and re-gas with the new stuff got quoted $160.STill to put it in yet or hubby is..been busy with the family,for those with kids..well ya know what i would mean..lol.The one we picked up seems to look ok,guess we'll find out once fitted.The old one I had was really wobbly n all lol!.

Thank-You again Guys I really appreciate all the suggestions/advice/help/replies you give me

Still learning..(about vn commodores LOL!!!).Ya all have a good week now!

Mrs Santa Claus 72(and hubby).

THANK YOU GUYS!!!!!

Last edited: