Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Alan Mance Over Fill Oil

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Good to hear it's sorted. I hope it provides many km's of happy motoring.

... and thanks for reporting back, even if we aren't 100% sure what they did.

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
The sensor can't be adjusted. It simply bolts in. There is no adjustment. It is centred by the seal. It is held down by the 10mm bolt. Exhaust and intake sensors are interchangeable.

and the said sensor is only held in by a 10mm bolt, no adjustment there...
I am aware I mentioned that the sensor is not adjustable, hence proving yet again that Alan Mance are either extremely incompetent or just really bad liars

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
Good to hear it's sorted. I hope it provides many km's of happy motoring.

... and thanks for reporting back, even if we aren't 100% sure what they did.
Thanks mate, I also hope she lasts a long time... should do as its got new timing chain kit and oil pump... we shall see

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
All I can suggest is doing regular oil changes, more often than the service manual recommends and do the PCV valve mod as shown elsewhere on this forum for a long healthy motor and prevent that sludge buildup.

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
All I can suggest is doing regular oil changes, more often than the service manual recommends and do the PCV valve mod as shown elsewhere on this forum for a long healthy motor and prevent that sludge buildup.
Interestingly I spoke to the service manager about that pcv valve mod and he reckons it can cause the engine to breathe too much and can cause other issues such as oil in the intake. He recommended removing the pcv valve during a service, cleaning it and putting it back… I will have a look at this mod though and see if I’m capable of doing it.

I’m planning on servicing the car every 5,000-7,000kms

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Basically, what the mod is, is copying what GM did on the later model Alloytec engines. These engines breathe a bit anyway and fitting a catch can is a good thing.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
This is true. The last alloytecs have the holes at the modified size.

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Glad it's sorted mate. That pisses me of that they fed you a load of BS.

I suspect I was fed some BS by the garage I have used a couple of times. I booked my ute in for a timing cover seal replacement and brake flush. The bloke didn't charge me anything but reckoned he flushed the brakes, even though a few months later the brake fluid was filthy when the other garage flushed them while replacing the pads.

Then the bloke who was meant to change the seal said the balancer was stuck on, likely with Loctite and to get it off would likely break it. Yet my experience with Loctite retaining compound is that it's not that strong....... And when I said I will buy a balancer, so when it breaks I don't have to pay Repco prices, he says don't do that, we'll just get one if it does break and I will give it to you at cost price. I suspect they didn't touch the car and just run out of time......

And reading your dilemma over the last few weeks, makes me think even more I was fed BS......

Last edited:

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
Glad it's sorted mate. That pisses me of that they fed you a load of BS.

I suspect I was fed some BS by the garage I have used a couple of times. I booked my ute in for a timing cover seal replacement and brake flush. The bloke didn't charge me anything but reckoned he flushed the brakes, even though a few months later the brake fluid was filthy when the other garage flushed them while replacing the pads.

Then the bloke who was meant to change the seal said the balancer was stuck on, likely with Loctite and to get it off would likely break it. Yet my experience with Loctite retaining compound is that it's not that strong....... And when I said I will buy a balancer, so when it breaks I don't have to pay Repco prices, he says don't do that, we'll just get one if it does break and I will give it to you at cost price. I suspect they didn't touch the car and just run out of time......

And reading your dilemma over the last few weeks, makes me think even more I was fed BS......
It’s a shame really… honesty is hard to come by, if you ever find a trust worthy mechanic. You have to stick by him for as long as possible because they’re a unicorn!

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
Basically, what the mod is, is copying what GM did on the later model Alloytec engines. These engines breathe a bit anyway and fitting a catch can is a good thing.
I see, it’s a bit late now so tomorrow I’ll do some research into it and see what I can whip up