Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alcopops Tax back on the agenda

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by satos, Apr 15, 2009.

1. satos

satos Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Berlina
    Just watched the news tonight and Kevin Rudd 747 want's to re introduce the alcopop tax and make it legislation at this years budget.
    I am not a teenager anymore but I enjoy having a 6 pack of Jim Beam on a friday night after work.
    Why should I and others be discriminated against because some teenager cannot hold his liquor.And I almost forgot,the stimulus payments have to be payed back somehow and it is the old saying."The government give with one hand and take with the other".

2. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Disco
    ya probably wont pass this time either, but they will tax it for a year and keep the profits anyway....

3. nathg

nathg New Member

Members Ride:
    MX83
    NOOOO!!!
    Seriosuly, K. Rudd, he doing the dodgey by not handing me my $900 yet lol, now this is back?? Seriously though, it is true, although I am only 18, I am not like the younger teenageers who get pissed of like 1 and a half cruisers (I do know girls like this haha) Its discusting that a reason like this IS because underage people are drinking. If the law was inforced better, there would be 0 need for it IMO.

4. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS
    I think it might get up - the word is they are going to broaden the base which will appeal to the do gooder left that knocked it on the head last time.

Reaper

5. Pub247

Pub247 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Ford Fairmont

Kevin rudd owns a vl turbo???

Astranomical likes this.
  6. Sharoo

Sharoo New Member

Members Ride:
    Grandpa Spec 5.7L VX Berlina
    When the alcopops went up, I noticed most of the younger teens in my area turned to buying whole bottles rather than wasting $10-20 on 4 or 6 drinks. A whole bottle of Vodka is $25.
    At least before they were drinking a premixed drink with a standard shot, when they buy bottles it only involves them getting a lot drunker and a lot faster..
    There's no quick fix to this. If all spirits go up there's still good old goon for the teens...

7. mulligan-can

mulligan-can ?!?

Members Ride:
    VS S Pack Ute
    I don't think K.Rudd really wants it to pass this time.... Seriously. Ever heard of "double dissolution"? Labor is in a really really strong position at present, and it is going to get even stronger once the handouts are fully rolled out.

The ALP agenda is also being hurt badly by the make up of the senate at the moment. (I am personally in favor of the senate makeup, limits the governments powers, how it should be all the time). So, an ideal solution for the government would be to put ALL the seats up for grabs again, secure in the knowledge that they would win a landslide victory.

The beauty of a double dissolution is that ALL senate seats go up for election rather than just half as is normally the case. The double dissolution is the one and only time that every federal government seat is up for grabs.

I think it's a clever ploy honestly. Fielding knows he will lose his seat if it comes down to a double dissolution and the Liberals know they will lose their majority.

Either K.Rudd gets his alcopop tax or he gets a stronger hold on the government/parliament (at a higher risk of course).

I am very very interested to see what will happen if it gets defeated again. Will a double dissolution be called? Or will the ALP just give it up?

Anyone else think "damn this could be hell fun" when reading they had reintroduced the alcopop tax again?

8. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Disco
    no i thought "oh no not more political dribble"

9. Doctor Sodways

Doctor Sodways Legendary Baby!

Members Ride:
    Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
    The term Alcopop gives me the shits something cronic, why cant he just call the damn things what they are to everone else in the industry, an RTD!!

As for the tax, its a cash grab, plain and simple, doesnt solve binge drinking at all, and it never will...

10. MasterOfReality

MasterOfReality Miners go deeper

Members Ride:
    2011 Mazda3 MPS, 2006 Suzuki GV, 1991 VP Calais
    They need to pay for the handouts somehow.

As for a DD, bring it on. Labor will win and then proceed to run the country into the ground so much that they will be cast into opposition for a very long time.

11. daron

daron wizfiz

Members Ride:
    VE SSV
    my mum works in a bws (booze shop) and she was saying since the tax was brought in ages ago premade drink sales slumped and bottle sales went through the roof so it didnt work more kids get more drunk

12. ashbox

ashbox back in black

Members Ride:
    something black
    wouldn't be a standard shot if the drink is equivilent to say for eg 1.4 standard drinks.

doubt it will pass but if it does then as people have said sales of large bottles of vodka, scotch etc will go back up if they have dropped

13. Troy5L

Troy5L building a lemon

Members Ride:
    Gu patrol td42
    yeh im totally agree, thats all they are money hungry government

14. VTSSDUDE

VTSSDUDE Active Member

Members Ride:
    VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
    Should have never been brought in the first place. If teenagers are going to drink they are going to drink.
    Can't do anything about it.
    KRudd 747 is broke as and needs all the cash he can get.

15. kane88

kane88 New Member

Members Ride:
    bf xr6 daily, vl project, wb ute project
    "alcopop" is a buzzword that has been used to whip up a sh*tstorm by the media and ultra conservatives.
    unfortunately, when the "alcopop" tax was brought in last time, publicans and bottle-o owners capitalised and spread the price hikes across the board on rtd's, not just on the cruisers and such that are aimed at the younger crowd.
    hard liquor prices went up too, but it was not as noticable, because of the media circus surrounding the premixes.

basically, as far as i'm concerned, it's not only a cash grab on the govt's part, but also by the publicans and bottle-o owners and liquor chains, and that means only one thing really - the little guy (that's you and me) gets f*cked

just my thoughts...

16. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS
    It did just occur to me that if GovCo wants to tax alcohol out of the reach of the average Joe - I wonder how many will go for the cheaper pills and other white powdery substances.

Reaper

17. VL_5SPEED

VL_5SPEED New Member

Members Ride:
    1986 Holden VL calais project
    alco tax has nothing to do with binge drinking or under age drinking its to do with $$$$$

Most kids drink beer and girls drink wine.

18. minux

minux Infidel Bear

Members Ride:
    300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
    When Krudd see's this happening he will legalise so he can tax it too :p

19. satos

satos Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Berlina
    It is happening now.How many overdoses you now see on the news where kids at rave parties are taking GBH and Ecstasy tablets because they are so cheap now.Cheaper than alcohol in some cases.

20. Grennan

Grennan Slayer of Stupid Threads

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
    It was in the paper here in Vic 2 days ago that the average hit of GBH costs 7 bucks (Victoria's prices are the cheapest by long way) - the same as 2 pots of beer. What do you think is going to happen?