Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alcopops Tax back on the agenda

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
my mum works in a bws (booze shop) and she was saying since the tax was brought in ages ago premade drink sales slumped and bottle sales went through the roof so it didnt work more kids get more drunk

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
When the alcopops went up, I noticed most of the younger teens in my area turned to buying whole bottles rather than wasting $10-20 on 4 or 6 drinks. A whole bottle of Vodka is $25.
At least before they were drinking a premixed drink with a standard shot, when they buy bottles it only involves them getting a lot drunker and a lot faster..
There's no quick fix to this. If all spirits go up there's still good old goon for the teens...

wouldn't be a standard shot if the drink is equivilent to say for eg 1.4 standard drinks.

doubt it will pass but if it does then as people have said sales of large bottles of vodka, scotch etc will go back up if they have dropped

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Should have never been brought in the first place. If teenagers are going to drink they are going to drink.
Can't do anything about it.
KRudd 747 is broke as and needs all the cash he can get.

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
bf xr6 daily, vl project, wb ute project
"alcopop" is a buzzword that has been used to whip up a sh*tstorm by the media and ultra conservatives.
unfortunately, when the "alcopop" tax was brought in last time, publicans and bottle-o owners capitalised and spread the price hikes across the board on rtd's, not just on the cruisers and such that are aimed at the younger crowd.
hard liquor prices went up too, but it was not as noticable, because of the media circus surrounding the premixes.

basically, as far as i'm concerned, it's not only a cash grab on the govt's part, but also by the publicans and bottle-o owners and liquor chains, and that means only one thing really - the little guy (that's you and me) gets f*cked

just my thoughts...

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
It did just occur to me that if GovCo wants to tax alcohol out of the reach of the average Joe - I wonder how many will go for the cheaper pills and other white powdery substances.

Reaper

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
alco tax has nothing to do with binge drinking or under age drinking its to do with $$$$$

Most kids drink beer and girls drink wine.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
It did just occur to me that if GovCo wants to tax alcohol out of the reach of the average Joe - I wonder how many will go for the cheaper pills and other white powdery substances.

Reaper

When Krudd see's this happening he will legalise so he can tax it too :p

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
It is happening now.How many overdoses you now see on the news where kids at rave parties are taking GBH and Ecstasy tablets because they are so cheap now.Cheaper than alcohol in some cases.