Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alcopops Tax back on the agenda

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Just watched the news tonight and Kevin Rudd 747 want's to re introduce the alcopop tax and make it legislation at this years budget.
I am not a teenager anymore but I enjoy having a 6 pack of Jim Beam on a friday night after work.
Why should I and others be discriminated against because some teenager cannot hold his liquor.And I almost forgot,the stimulus payments have to be payed back somehow and it is the old saying."The government give with one hand and take with the other".

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
ya probably wont pass this time either, but they will tax it for a year and keep the profits anyway....

nathg

Reaction score
Members Ride
MX83
NOOOO!!!
Seriosuly, K. Rudd, he doing the dodgey by not handing me my $900 yet lol, now this is back?? Seriously though, it is true, although I am only 18, I am not like the younger teenageers who get pissed of like 1 and a half cruisers (I do know girls like this haha) Its discusting that a reason like this IS because underage people are drinking. If the law was inforced better, there would be 0 need for it IMO.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I think it might get up - the word is they are going to broaden the base which will appeal to the do gooder left that knocked it on the head last time.

Reaper

Sharoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Grandpa Spec 5.7L VX Berlina
When the alcopops went up, I noticed most of the younger teens in my area turned to buying whole bottles rather than wasting $10-20 on 4 or 6 drinks. A whole bottle of Vodka is $25.
At least before they were drinking a premixed drink with a standard shot, when they buy bottles it only involves them getting a lot drunker and a lot faster..
There's no quick fix to this. If all spirits go up there's still good old goon for the teens...

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
I don't think K.Rudd really wants it to pass this time.... Seriously. Ever heard of "double dissolution"? Labor is in a really really strong position at present, and it is going to get even stronger once the handouts are fully rolled out.

The ALP agenda is also being hurt badly by the make up of the senate at the moment. (I am personally in favor of the senate makeup, limits the governments powers, how it should be all the time). So, an ideal solution for the government would be to put ALL the seats up for grabs again, secure in the knowledge that they would win a landslide victory.

The beauty of a double dissolution is that ALL senate seats go up for election rather than just half as is normally the case. The double dissolution is the one and only time that every federal government seat is up for grabs.

I think it's a clever ploy honestly. Fielding knows he will lose his seat if it comes down to a double dissolution and the Liberals know they will lose their majority.

Either K.Rudd gets his alcopop tax or he gets a stronger hold on the government/parliament (at a higher risk of course).

I am very very interested to see what will happen if it gets defeated again. Will a double dissolution be called? Or will the ALP just give it up?

Anyone else think "damn this could be hell fun" when reading they had reintroduced the alcopop tax again?

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
The term Alcopop gives me the shits something cronic, why cant he just call the damn things what they are to everone else in the industry, an RTD!!

As for the tax, its a cash grab, plain and simple, doesnt solve binge drinking at all, and it never will...