Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

All early model VE and WM owners

Hym1e

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
For V6 owners only. I recently took my car back to my dealer for a service to keep my used car warranty. The engine light was on so I had them check that, the ESP would also turn itself off randomly and wasn't able to turn it back on unless I restarted the car.

These are the problems overall that they need to "fix"
- Washer bottle neck (common problem with cracking)
- Wipers ($125 genuine)
- Top hose, clamps and radiator cap (easily done yourself)
- VIM AMP rework
- SPS ECM

all this is meant to cost $1150 which includes the service.

The VIM AMP rework consists of adding another "chip" to the car which include taking the manifold off because the chip is behind it.
SPS ECM is the new 2012 software to tune said chip.

This new chip and software widens the parameters of the MAF at a cost of $450 (at my dealer)

This post is really just a heads up if you wish to do it before it happens.

Not sure how Holden charge but after the part labor is 0.7 hrs.

If this has already been posted up before please delete it.

My car has also done 135,000 k's.

Last edited:

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
I don't know much about those prices but the wipers are a massive ripoff.
You should tell them to stick 'em.

$50 a pair from SuperCheap.

Hym1e

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
I did get them from SuperCheap. Also someone I know from another Holden dealership told me that if you haven't brought wipers from them in a while they'll just try to sting you for new set without actually looking at them anyway.

JaredT

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Ute
I did get them from SuperCheap. Also someone I know from another Holden dealership told me that if you haven't brought wipers from them in a while they'll just try to sting you for new set without actually looking at them anyway.

pretty much anytime I've had my car serviced anywhere I've always been told I need new wipers and new tyres. If you've got good tyres then it'll be your shocks or suspension or brake pads or your clutch, oldest trick in the book

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
pretty much anytime I've had my car serviced anywhere I've always been told I need new wipers and new tyres. If you've got good tyres then it'll be your shocks or suspension or brake pads or your clutch, oldest trick in the book

Ever since I got bent over for $500 for a normal service, I always ask for a quote before booking my car in.

And if they call saying they 'found an issue' or the 'brakes need doing', I always say it's already booked in elsewhere, so I can check it out myself.

And I ask for my old parts back. Can't trust anyone these days. ;)

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
The VIM AMP rework consists of adding another "chip" to the car which include taking the manifold off because the chip is behind it.
SPS ECM is the new 2012 software to tune said chip.

This new chip and software widens the parameters of the MAF at a cost of $450 (at my dealer)

Not quite.

A VIM (Variable Intake Manifold) amplifier is fitted to early VE & WM V6 vehicles to amplify signals between the VIM (or IMRC - Intake Manifold Runner Control) and the ECM. The VIM amplifier is connected (by wiring) between the VIM valve on the rear of the intake manifold and the ECM. The VIM amplifier is to be deleted from vehicle production as detailed below, and the VIM valve will then be connected directly to the ECM, as a result of software and hardware improvements.

This rework needs to be done as the later software doesnt support the VIM AMP, thats the only reason. You will get gains from the newer software but there is no new "chip". Just a bit of rewiring.

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
Just fit an "Energy Polariser"

That'll fix it!

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
Hym1e, I've been doing some digging on the VIM rework as well. If you have an early VE series and want a software upgrade, the later software does not support the early VIM wiring. The VIM rework looks like it's changing one wire in a connector (a little bit fiddly), removing the VIM amplifier and plugging in a different wiring loom to bypass the VIM amplifier. It also sounds like the inlet manifold does not need to be removed - only a plug needs to be disconnected and reconnected on the rear of the inlet manifold. If you haven't had the work done already, I'd be asking for a breakdown of the costs to make up that wallet gouging $1,100 or so. From what I've heard, for the VIM rework, the loom needed is less than $50, and the work takes an hour. Depending on the reasons for your software upgrade, that should be around $100 too for just a software flash.Mine was only $88, but they forgot the VIM rework, even though the tech II unit apparently reminds them to do it.

Good luck with getting the work done.

flyjoe180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
My 06 SV6 had that rewire job and a software upgrade done, 8 months later I had the ESP play up with Reduced Power Mode and rough idle, which would clear after restarting. The throttle position sensor needed an updated wiring loom. Have to agree on the wipers, they are shockingly expensive units, although even in Aussie dollars that quoted price sounds rather expensive. I think I paid around $80 NZ for my last set (both sides) from SC.