Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

All items for a minor service?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Normally I take the VF to a really good guy for service (he seems happy to do it - although doing stuff like rebuilding a neglected 308 Dino’s powertrain or building a competitive race-car are more the area of stuff that he does well & others don’t), but thanks to the black-market endangered-species meat trade in China I don’t want to travel across town & potentially catch public transport etc etc. It’s out of warranty anyhoo.

So I think I’d do the minor service on the VF myself ... I do have a hoist after all, may as well use it. :)

Is there a section I’m missing where I’d find a list of all the stuff I need?

In my mind I have:
(*) oil filter
(*) air filter (hasn’t been done since bushfire-disaster that preceded pangolin-bat disaster)
(*) oil (know I can check owner’s manual for volume - wouldn’t mind the info here if someone knows)
(*) sump-plug washer (what size? assume this isn’t in the owner’s manual?)
Anything else?

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
Your service handbook should have what needs to be done and at what time frame or kms.
I change the sump washer every second change. I could prob get away with less often as I don't reef the sump plug back on.
I do my own services and dont have a problem with it. I just hate coolant, brake and trans fluid replacement time.
I'd love to have a hoist. I'd finally be able to amourall those exhaust hangers.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sounds fine. You can buy genuine sump plugs with the blue washer from Autobarn, or just reuse the old one. Just don't swing on the breaker bar when you do it up again. For the oil quantity just go by the dipstick you can't go too far wrong. Buy ten litres and keep the leftovers.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I change the sump washer every second change.
Any idea what size the washer is? Is it in the manual?
I want to pre-order everything, for delivery.

I wouldn’t ArmourAll rubber parts ... it’s pretty bad for rubber’s longevity. A decent-brand cleaner/conditioner would do the trick though. :)

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
Any idea what size the washer is? Is it in the manual?
I want to pre-order everything, for delivery.

I wouldn’t ArmourAll rubber parts ... it’s pretty bad for rubber’s longevity. A decent-brand cleaner/conditioner would do the trick though. :)
Not sure of the size.
I'll have a look and see if I have one of the bags and I'll give you the part number for a 6.2. Not sure if 6 and 8 are the same.

Re exhaust hangers, maybe I'll just replace them as they get dirty....

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I’ve been doing my VE since warranty finished.
Oil as per the books about at 9 months. I
Oil filter every time, air filter every couple of years. Very simple tasks.
Drop it off to local mechanic at 2.5 years to have brake fluid flushed, then 5 years brake fluid again flushed and red coolant replaced.
Car goes up on the hoist and Is checked for anything else and am happy to pay the account.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Drop it off to local mechanic at 2.5 years to have brake fluid flushed, then 5 years brake fluid again flushed and red coolant replaced.

and there are those who say "you can do those yourself".
and then there are those, like me, who say "why bother with farnarckling it yourself, the extra cost is SFA."

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
and there are those who say "you can do those yourself".
and then there are those, like me, who say "why bother with farnarckling it yourself, the extra cost is SFA."
If you think doing a brake fluid or coolant flush is difficult you should definitely pay someone else to do it. If you know what you are doing and enjoy working on your car then why not DIY?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you think doing a brake fluid ... flush is difficult you should definitely pay someone else to do it. If you know what you are doing and enjoy working on your car then why not DIY?
In my experience a brake fluid change is a messy, time-consuming experience, and then disposing of the fluid safely/correctly without killing polar bears is even more time-consuming.
It’s something I’d very much rather pay someone else to do!