Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

All ok in New Zealand?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It has been privately owned for over a century or longer. Currently it is owned by a family trust (3 brothers) and it's been in that family for 3 generations I believe. The Island is also protected by various laws (heritage and active volcano etc).

More than a few people have died there over the centuries but it's a tourist hot spot just like Mt Ruapehu is and that erupts once in a while too (and kills of the ski season)... There is always risk when travelling to active geothermal sites of which there are plenty here in NZ.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
It has been privately owned for over a century or longer. Currently it is owned by a family trust (3 brothers) and it's been in that family for 3 generations I believe. The Island is also protected by various laws (heritage and active volcano etc).

More than a few people have died there over the centuries but it's a tourist hot spot just like Mt Ruapehu is and that erupts once in a while too (and kills of the ski season)... There is always risk when travelling to active geothermal sites of which there are plenty here in NZ.
I lived in NZ for many years when younger and I don't recall that you could actually walk onto the island. I thought you could only sail around, fly over or dive nearby, otherwise I may have been tempted to go there. BTW the fishing was always supposed to be great.
On that basis, I don't understand the recurring detail that tours of the island, which land on it, have been going on for 30 years? The risk surely has always been too high.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Thanks for the clarification.....Been a few people I have spoken with, that have thrown various things in the mix, over it

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I lived in NZ for many years when younger and I don't recall that you could actually walk onto the island. I thought you could only sail around, fly over or dive nearby, otherwise I may have been tempted to go there. BTW the fishing was always supposed to be great.
On that basis, I don't understand the recurring detail that tours of the island, which land on it, have been going on for 30 years? The risk surely has always been too high.

Not sure how long the tourist trade has been there but my understanding is certain tour operators have permission to land on the island. DOC/GNS monitor the island (seismic, gas and video sensors I believe )and set danger level. It seems last weeks eruption came with no warning which is not typical as I understand it. I believe, much like Mt Ruapehu, the crater lake temperature, acidity and tremors are normally indicators that trouble is brewing but at the end of the day it is an active volcano and as smart as we humans are, we still really don't understand how these things behave.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Would you cross a 8 lane busy freeway blindfolded at night? Well why would you want to stand on a active volcano then? This is not a tragedy its bloody stupidity lives lost over bad judgment, your simply playing Russian roulette with your life, just don't get what's the point of standing on a volcano that's already claimed 12 sulpha miners 100 years ago as their bodies are turned in rock fossils. RIP..

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
^^^^ ……... With that type of thinking, the residents of NZ should all emigrate to Australia and live out near Bourke somewhere, because the whole of NZ is likely to either erupt, flood, landslide or become liquified during an earthquake.
Same for the residents of any town between Melbourne and Adelaide, as that belt is home to many dormant (not extinct) volcanos which could become active next week, next year, next century, or in 10,000 years time. If I were you, I'd be heading across the NSW border.

Over 35 people have died climbing Uluru, that is more casualties in a less time period than White Island. There was more concern towards the cultural aspect of climbing Uluru than the safety.

Who in their right mind would strap themselves in a tin can and hurtle at 100kmh towards another tin can coming toward you at the same speed. Similarly, why strap yourself in a cylinder with 200 others, and travel at 900kmh, at an altitude where there is insufficient air to survive if the cylinder came apart.
What about tying some planks to your feet and sliding uncontrolled at high speed down a snow covered mountain ?
People live in high rise apartments, how many thought that a fire could kill you while you were watching TV.
Why do people smoke cigarettes?
Humans are inquisitive and adventurous, it’s our nature.

If the island had erupted sometime during the last week of March 2020, I may have been making the headlines. I have done many other potentially dangerous, but everyday mundane activities during my life. But I won't be going to see White Island now, it will be off limits..
If you can honestly state that you have never done anything that could result in your death, it is time to shut down the computer and die from boredom.
**** happens, and people die. This tragedy is nobody’s fault, but I’ll bet that the judicial system will find different.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
^^^^ ……... With that type of thinking, the residents of NZ should all emigrate to Australia and live out near Bourke somewhere, because the whole of NZ is likely to either erupt, flood, landslide or become liquified during an earthquake.
Same for the residents of any town between Melbourne and Adelaide, as that belt is home to many dormant (not extinct) volcanos which could become active next week, next year, next century, or in 10,000 years time. If I were you, I'd be heading across the NSW border.

Over 35 people have died climbing Uluru, that is more casualties in a less time period than White Island. There was more concern towards the cultural aspect of climbing Uluru than the safety.

Who in their right mind would strap themselves in a tin can and hurtle at 100kmh towards another tin can coming toward you at the same speed. Similarly, why strap yourself in a cylinder with 200 others, and travel at 900kmh, at an altitude where there is insufficient air to survive if the cylinder came apart.
What about tying some planks to your feet and sliding uncontrolled at high speed down a snow covered mountain ?
People live in high rise apartments, how many thought that a fire could kill you while you were watching TV.
Why do people smoke cigarettes?
Humans are inquisitive and adventurous, it’s our nature.

If the island had erupted sometime during the last week of March 2020, I may have been making the headlines. I have done many other potentially dangerous, but everyday mundane activities during my life. But I won't be going to see White Island now, it will be off limits..
If you can honestly state that you have never done anything that could result in your death, it is time to shut down the computer and die from boredom.
**** happens, and people die. This tragedy is nobody’s fault, but I’ll bet that the judicial system will find different.
In australia the interest of tourism anddddddddddddd money and the old establishment always wins over traditional owners @ its called terra nulis thru the old darwinism of expansion, repression of the minority and colonialism, new zealand is no different.
Taking risks for excitement like walking on a active volcano, thrill seeking etc etc is done since its a free world and you pay for the privilige but in the end if an obvious human tragedy occurs ... who pays for it ... our loved ones left behind ... it resembles suicide.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
People have been traveling on trips to White Island or Whakaari for over 30 years without incident. There will always be a risk traveling to a live volcano but the fascination of such a place with reasonably easy access will always appeal to some. I'm sure that the people who organise these trips must have thought that the risk level was very low even if only to protect their back pockets.
New Zealand has a fault line that runs from one end to the other. There will always be risks from volcanic activity however people still manage to go about their daily life. I'm quite sure if these events occurred on a regular basis then the place might well be deserted.
I lived in New Zealand for over 45 years and was on no occasion at risk from volcanic activity. Unfortunately the lawyers will already be rubbing their hands together in anticipation of the money they are going to make.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I lived in New Zealand for over 45 years and was on no occasion at risk from volcanic activity. Unfortunately the lawyers will already be rubbing their hands together in anticipation of the money they are going to make.

From what I have read, the lawyers over there have already stated, there is no claim to be made as a result of this tragedy.

I can't remember the exact details, but it was something about laws being passed 30 years ago, where people can't sue as a result of this sort of thing occurring.