Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

all vs calais v6 eco owners advice please

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Ok i have done everything to my cooling system! e.g new water pump, new thermostat, new coolant temp sender, new temp gauge sender, 3 lots of coolant flushes, the 3 tablets from holden, new radiator cap, i also have cleaned the radiator grill throughly (compressed air and washed) & not to mention radiator flush (bottle stuff not profesional pull down) short of putting a new radiator in and its still overheating:bang: im just curious as to what temp most vs calais sit on? mine sits a needle over half (wich is supposed to be normal) but as soon as i pull up at the lights it goes up to 3 quarters and takes ages for it to come back down to half (when it reaches 3 quarters thermo fan kicks in drops it back down about two needles and this is all normal driveing not floging it around:cry: i need to know what the normal temp is for these cars might sound dumb but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
That sounds about right.....
My VP calais sit on just under half cruzin round the street but sit at lights or maccas n she goes right up 2 3/4 then thermo kicks in n drops down to just under half....

Just make sure she aint goin much ova 3/4 b4 thermo kicks in... thats gettin preety hot on 3/4...

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
That sounds about right.....
My VP calais sit on just under half cruzin round the street but sit at lights or maccas n she goes right up 2 3/4 then thermo kicks in n drops down to just under half....

Just make sure she aint goin much ova 3/4 b4 thermo kicks in... thats gettin preety hot on 3/4...

yeah thats what mine does but the thermo fan only kicks in for a while dosent drop it any where near half way it only goes down about a needle or 2from 3/4 the only way i can get it to drop down to half way again is if i get rolling again

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
That doesn't sound right for a VS mate.... mine gets to 1/2 way before the thermofan turns on in the middle of summer and then it turns off as the temp cools down to 1/4...and I've got the S/C motor so it would be generating more heat than a N/A one....I pressume you have an N/A Ecotec?

I'd be looking at some basics like the exhaust... How old is it ? is it likely that it maybe partially blocked ? Collapsed Cat ? That would be one cause of a motor overheating. Check all intake manifolds and hoses for airleaks !!! Extra air being sucked in that wasn't measured at the MAF will cause lean running !!! = hot motor... Look at the fuel side of things... fuel filter how old ?...fuel pressure regulator holding enough pressure ?... fuel pump pumping enough pressure ?... Air sensors ? is the MAF clean/functioning correctly ? the fuel system maybe starving the motor for fuel causing it to run lean = hot motor...plugs ?...are they the right heat range ?

Get an exhaust gas check...that will help narrow down the possiblities !!!

Hope that helps your diagnosis !

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
even during a warm day my vs exec just sits below 1/4 while moving ( 40+ ) stationary it'll get to about 3/4 before the fan kicks in and it cools back to 1/2, if i have AC going it'll hover below 1/3rd moving or not.

personally i wouldnt mind rigging up a switch to change the fan between full on and "auto" ( saving full on for heavy duty uses [ towing / booting it / start stop or hot days ) while leaving it on auto when i drive normally or do a freeway run