Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloy Cleaning/Polishing

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The car has been on over a dozen 700 mile trips back home in it's current life and the belt has never walked.

I carry 3 spare Gates belts along with other spares in the boot because I'm old school and come from an era when if you broke down you just repaired it on the side of the road.

I've never needed to replace a belt.

I couldn't say how many people have been over this car and it's also been in and out of it's share of shops during and after the build and this is the first time someone has brought up the belt.

The crank pully is wider than the alternator pully so it can also accept a separate power steering belt, the water pump pully is just made to match and line up with the outer face of the crank pulley but the belt can only be as wide as the narrower alternator pully.

That is how this Gilmer Drive Kit for a 351 Cleveland comes.

There is a groove cut into the crank pulley and that is where the power steering belt would be fitted.

I have a similar setup on the 350 SBC in my Torana except it doesn't have a fan attached.

1632286612624.png

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Or does it get driven that little that the noise is more important?

Is doesn't get driven much like it use to, I got a little bored with it and my time was focused on another car I was restoring.

My fur coat, sound is important. :cool:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
… I carry 3 spare Gates belts along with other spares in the boot because I'm old school and come from an era when if you broke down you just repaired it on the side of the road...
I like old school and it’s probably quicker than waiting for roadside assistance to arrive :p

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I like old school and it’s probably quicker than waiting for roadside assistance to arrive :p

When I was growing up out in the middle of nowhere, there were no mobile phones so if you couldn't fix it then either your thumb was your roadside assist or you walked to the nearest homestead to use the landline.

Back then people were only to happy to give you a tow as well, that's something you don't see much of these days.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
When I was growing up out in the middle of nowhere, there were no mobile phones so if you couldn't fix it then either your thumb was your roadside assist or you walked to the nearest homestead to use the landline.

Back then people were only to happy to give you a tow as well, that's something you don't see much of these days.
Yeah, sadly thee is not the same interest to learn stuff these days :oops:

A couple of years back my niece had a flat tyre, in her dads driveway of all places. Since i was at her dad's place, i thought we'd show her how to safely change a tyre... She had absolutely no interest in learning, to her dad's shock. She just said she'd call roadside assistance and when i commented she may have a long wait, she quiped if that was the case then she'd give her dad or me a call :eek: My nephew then said much the same :confused::mad:

When or if i get such a call, i'd tell her i'll be right on it... and then take my sweet time (unless it's a dark night in a poorly lit/unsafe location as she's my niece after all :p

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Looks like the pulley is a lot wider than the belt.
Agreed, you can see the difference between the part of the pulley that's got the belt on it vs the part that doesn't, the part without the belt is nowhere near as "polished", and the fact that the line between the two is so marked must surely mean the belt's in a pretty fixed location front-to-rear?