Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloy Wheels - 19s or 20s?

JME_VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais used for 'soup kitchen'
I'm looking at buying a set of alloy wheels, I've been told to go for 20s because they are more common than 19s so tyres are cheaper, is this true?

I have also looked at staggered, is it worth the $200 extra?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
20's for looks.

19's for ride comfort.

To be honest half the bigger performance oriented cars are still being made with 19's and 20's so you really shouldn't have trouble with tyre pricing on the 19's.

Staggered does look of good. I had staggered hsv's on my WM and it looked great but bear in mind tyres last half as long because you can't rotate them front to back. I'd never do it again on a daily drive, I was getting 12,000km with sensible commuting.

JME_VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais used for 'soup kitchen'
I'd never do it again on a daily drive, I was getting 12,000km with sensible commuting.

My tyres are wearing pretty evenly front to back at the moment. Was the problem camber wear or just general tyre wear?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
My tyres are wearing pretty evenly front to back at the moment. Was the problem camber wear or just general tyre wear?

I would say general tyre wear, because they can't be rotated, to get maximum mileage from the tyres....

As for tyre pricing....I would suggest pricing up the relevant sizings you would want before deciding rim diametre based on prices....However 19" and 20" tyres are both readily available...

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Unless you run low pressure in 35s or 30s the lack of compression within the tyre can be harsh and damage suspension components, this will show outer wear especially if hard cornering and led foot, high pressure could scrub inner much worse. Some people bag heavy camber bcoz of the tyre wear, but l have 2.5 deg rear camb on 55s and ive clocked nearly 50k with no camber wear at all on Pirelli tyres.