Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec 190 - Hmmmm, I sseem to be using a little oil....

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
G'day All.

A little worrying.... I noticed on my trip to Adelaide recently that my dear A190 used more than just a teeny bit of oil.... In fact, it seems in around 3500 kays I've gone through over a litre, probably 1 1/2. I can't see any evidence of leaking, and if I was burning that much oil I thought I'd definitely see residue all over the back bumper and boot.... And there is none... Lots of highway grime of course after that trip, but no oil residue....

So what could be happening??? Surely that can't just be exaporation... (oh, as a matter of interest - I run Nulon full synth - 5W in winter, 10W in summer... Change with filter every 7500 Ks)

Cheerz guys! :thumbsup:

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
thats strange, nothing unsual happening with the car besides that?

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
I dont know Greg but Dads Adventra (with the 190) tends to go through oil too, always has.

Not really an answer but its something :whistling

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
City driving most k's and then you get out on the highway for a long trip will use upto 1/2 L on almost any car. How long had it been from the last oil change?

And did you open it up a bit on the highway (dont answer that) if so that can also drink a little oil too :)

calay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
mine interestingly puffed a decent amount on a startup not too long ago :s

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
mine interestingly puffed a decent amount on a startup not too long ago :s

was it white you blue, white is just condensation

S

Sash182

I've noticed the same prob, used just over a litre in 5000k's.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Greg i use the same oil as you and my car has been using a fair amount of oil (1.5L in 5k) I think im going to use Motul oil on my next change and see if it makes a difference.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Thanks for the responses guys.... To address a couple of the questions asked - Ash, no there are no other symptoms. In fact it's running like an absolute dream - drove beautifully for the trip, and got 800 Ks on a tank again - and only managed to squeeze just over 71 litres in.... :woohoo:

I did have a think about this too..... When a car is used for a lot of short-haul start/stop tyoe of stuff, there can indeed be a little condensation which settles into the sump when the engine cools. Because the oil never reaches a high enough temperature to boil this water off, this can effectively "add" to the volume of liquid in the sump, so the level on the dipstick shows OK. It's not enough water to show as "milkyness" in the oil, but it does artificially lift the level. When you go on a LONG trip, and the oil comes up to somewhere above 100 degrees (ie, so the water boils off and goes out through the crankcase vent) then it does indeed leave the engine, causing the level to drop what appears to be quite dramatically. I have topped the oil up since, and it seems to be maintaining the level.... Shane, I think this might be what you're referring to...
(although, a litre of boil-off?? Damn! I wasn't really "booting it" on the trip, although there were a couple of times I opened her up a little... ;) )

I'm not sure how much sense that all makes, I might be blowing trumpets out of my butt anyhow... ;)

I'l getting the car up on stands over the next few days, I'll see what evidence I can find under the body.... Surely I'll spot something if it's leaking.

I too have noticed a very occasional belch of smoke at start-up - it seemed to be white coloured, but I thought I smelled oil once. It soon cleared, and doesn't happen at all often. A few times in the almost five years I've had it.
Anyhow, thanks again for the input guys. I wonder if I might switch oil brands too.... I have had good results with the Nulon though, apart from the consumption issue... It's a little releiving to know that I'm not the only one, and oil these days is pretty thin conpared to what we used to use - not surprising a little of it gets burnt / vapourised.... ( Corse + for my 4.2 thank you...) :yeah:

Cheerz :thumbsup:

CNULTR

SLEEP3r
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th Anniversary II
guys i dont know if this would help, but my dads caprice had started throwing out oil from the manifold in2 the plastic intake those long tubes, ded set about a litre of oil or more was in there but in the mean time it was runing perfect. We just had to do a oil service every 5-10 thousand kz.