Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec 190 into WB 1 tonner

SBM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5Spd
Just chasing some info for a project at work. I have a customer with a WB 1 tonner and also a wrecked vz thunder ute. Anyway he wants me to fit the alloytec and 6 spd manual into the tonner. I was just wondering if anyone has done a similar conversion before. I cant find anyone who makes engine and gearbox mounts. If i need to I might be able to fabricate my own but for legalities I would prefer to buy a set. Also does anyone know of somewhere that will reprogram the ecu and delete all the unneccesary modules. I have found a place in QLD that will modify the loom and all reprogramming for about $1,200. Also v6 conversions will do it for about $1,800. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

bloomers

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
I am doing the same type of thing. Alloytec into an EH. So far I have not found out much. $1200 to modify the loom and reprogram is quite good.

SBM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5Spd
The owners are now wanting the VZ dash in the WB. If I do end up putting it in I will not have to modify the loom as I will be running the BCM and all. I figure I can spend about 30-40 hrs putting it in and they will not be anymore out of pocket than getting the loom modified. How far have u got with the EH? I have the motor and box out of the VZ and the front end off the WB. Hoping to get the engine and gearbox out this week so I can start measuring up and making some engine and gearbox mounts. Also hope to get my twin turbo VK running tomorrow. Thats if the ECU gets here.

bloomers

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
I have not made much progress at all. I have everything sitting in the shed but I have some other projects more important at the momemt..so the wife tells me.
I also want to use the dash and that is why I have been looking at forumns to see if there is any information around. I figure that I will use the steering column and whatever else I can make use of from the donor VZ. In fact I have the floor pan of the VZ that I will probably fit to the EH. That will give me the a bigger tunnel for the gearbox, the gearbox crossmember, seat mounts, hand brake etc. So I have a lot to do before I get to the wiring stages.
I did find some conversion looms on the net for various engines and the alloytech was more than twice the price of other looms. Makes me think that it is something complicated in the setup.
30-40 hours for you to modify the loom......I am thinking that that might be ambitious. You will have to identify all of the unwanted stuff and strip it out, maby lengthen some wires and then there is the extra time required to fault find if something is not working. If I was doing it for myself, I would do it all. For a customer I would get the loom done by someone else and not have that to worry about it.

SBM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5Spd
The hours I was talking about was putting the dash in. The loom I would send away to get done but if they want the dash in I have about $1800. to play with which equal about 30 or so hours of my time. I have all the motor and box out of the WB and have sat the alloytec in place. I will either need a reverse sump made or will have to modify the crossmember to suit. The motor is going to sit low enough but will need to be about 200mm further back than what I can get it at the moment. Can't wait to get it all bolted in so I can start the dash conversion.

bloomers

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Fair enough.

I don't know yet how the alloytec will go with the EH crossmember. Looking forward to doing a trial fit.

I would be interested in knowing how your conversion goes.

SBM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5Spd
I will keep u posted on the progress. I was told today that maybe a HT crossmember would be a good choice as they had the sump at the front of the vehicle and not the back like the WB. I will do a bit of research and let you know as it might even help with yours. tomorrow I am going to start stripping the VZ interior and can hopefully get a few things sitting in place.

SBM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5Spd
Got my hands on a HK today but no luck as the crossmember is still at the front. Will have to find another option. Completely stripped the interior of both cars today. Got the drivers seat in place along with the centre console and have started to modify the dash to fit. Looks like it is going to be a reasonable fit. I'm pretty tall and can sit comfortably and not feel squashed at all. Want to get the dash mounted now so I can then move the motor and box to suit where the console is and it should be just about perfect in the engine bay.

bloomers

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Sorry to hear about the crossmember. Interior sounds like it is progressing fairly quickly.