Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec and SIDI Cam Development

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
This just confuses me, why would someone buy a 3.0L sidi car which is aimed purely at fuel economy and then want to cam it? It's more backwards than modifying a 253 V8. Although it would rev it's freckle out.

itsArthurKomar

sexy beast
Reaction score
Members Ride
super awesome time machine
because i bought it for the 6-speed and lower insurance? if the insurance
This just confuses me, why would someone buy a 3.0L sidi car which is aimed purely at fuel economy and then want to cam it? It's more backwards than modifying a 253 V8. Although it would rev it's freckle out.

456adam

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman
Wouldn't the cost of the cams and tune plus supporting mods like intake and exhaust be a little more expensive then the slightly higher insurance cost of a 3.6?
And then when you tell your insurance you just cammed your brand new car, they are going to go "lol ok, come and have a look at this nice new premium you have to pay."

Hate to sound all negative but buying the 3.0 to save money on insurance, and then spending money on expensive mods seems counter productive IMO.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Well to be fair, how much would the 3.0L insurance be for a p-plater every year? How many years does he plan on keeping it and how much is the mod expected to cost? Might still end up saving money! Insurance for me on a V8 when I was on my p's was almost 150% more than it was for a V6, so didn't mind spending abit of money on my car.

LachieSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Poison Ivy SII SV6
even if you got the car insured as a V8 cos your on P's driving it would be illegal, hence no insurance cover....

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
true but ways around that, work exceptions and stuff. Which I looked at but still insurance would have raped

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
What's the bore/stroke ratio on these engines? Is it possible the 3.0L could be a stronger unit when boosting for huge power?

MACE

Reaction score
What's the bore/stroke ratio on these engines? Is it possible the 3.0L could be a stronger unit when boosting for huge power?
Good questions. It is possible that the 3.0L is a better base to start with for ultra high levels of boost, time will tell I guess, whether it be in a VE or early Gen Commodore

astroham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking
so i know you guys are still working on these cams ... but just a ball park figure of what it would cost to have one fitted / tuned ... just so i can start saving?