Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

alloytec on lpg??

vtss5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss/ k8 gsxr 1000
just wondering guys if it is possible to convert the alloytec to lpg? car in question is an vz sv6

vy-346

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T 6A & VH-ZXA
conversions have been done but its not really a good idea from what ive heard cheif. Cylinder head failure within 50,000km, better off not bothering. Its been covered before in another thread though, try a search :)

vtss5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss/ k8 gsxr 1000
Cheers mate, just checking.. lookin for a new car for me and the mrs, ive been lookin at gettin a brand new lancer or somethin like that, just thought if i could put an sv6 on gas, it would be a better option, being a bigger car, and a holden!!

twb1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Black CDTi Astra 6sp manual
Hi vtss5spd,

As mentioned by QuIcKsV6 yes it can be done, although I haven't heard of any cylinder head failures yet.

I have a 2005 SV6 and I've been doing some research into the conversions.

So far in WA I've found a couple of options. The preferred system is made by a Dutch company called Prins it works by Gas vapour injection, the dude I spoke to reckons he's done plently of VZ all models (HSV's also) including alloytecs/5.7lt and the new 6lt and tells me he's never had a drama. Also reckons as the car runs the twin injection system on LPG the car will still be producing 190kws.

The other system I'm looking into is the factory fit VZ kit as found on the Execs factory ordered, but in the VZ it requires a seperate fuel gauge (it's the green and red LED light type) as it does not intergrate into the dash petrol guage. You also lose some of the trip computer functions whilst running on LPG. But you do get the LPG switch near the window buttons in the centre console.

I was originally anti-LPG but my opinion of recent has changed and in WA the $3000 back from the State/Federal Goverment is a big sweetener.

Might be worth further investigation. Ring around and see what you can come up with.

cheers

Tom/WA

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
they are planning to put a lpg version of the alloytec out from factory so a place should be able to convert it to gas.

twb1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi andyman, in theory just about any petrol engine can be converted to run on LPG, how well it runs is another question. That question about the alloytec190 being compatible has been answered on here before in depth, the short answer is YES it can..

JD, don't really follow your posting Holden already HAVE bought out a dual fuel version on the VZ although it wasn't released that long ago. Their is a dual fuel VE due for release shortly.

I saw an ex AVIS rental VZ exec yesterday at the shops which the owner had converted with an aftermarket kit at a well know LPG conversion place in WA. I ask her how it ran and although I could tell she had no idea about engines or cars she said 'that the difference between petrol and LPG was very minor.

The 50,000km cylinder head failure issue is still a bit of a worry.

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
Their is a dual fuel VE due for release shortly.
twb1979 , I don't really follow your posting Holden already HAVE

released the Dual Fuel VE on 18/10/2006............:whistling

twb1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
My sincerest apologies WAGON MAN, I was under the impression that the dual-fuel VE was still a few weeks away.