Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

alloytec maf wierd?...

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
Hey all, if anyone can shed some light on this?... Much appreciated

I cleaned out my air filter, MAF and intake pipe tonight. As usual I took the front intake pipe heading down to my CAI with enclosed pod.
Obviously i disconnected my MAF and took everything out and cleaned it as usual.

But this time i decided to start the car without the MAF plugged in (actually because i wanted to make sure the battery charged, i had been playing the stereo with the car off for over an hour, and hadn't put everything back in yet).

I was expecting to see a Service Vehicle or Check Powertrain or something of that nature to come up..... BUT IT DIDNT?...

I'm not sure why? Just a side note by the way, I had my car tuned at AutoTechnique (the guy who owns it wrote the VCM software, which i thought was kinda cool) about 6 months ago, to the tune of 149rwkw.

So as a sort of "test" I put everything back together but didn't connect the MAF, and started it again, still no error code. I decided (tentatively) to take it for a drive, and to be honest it felt a little different. It felt as though there was no interference from the computer anymore, and the throttle was more mechanical.
To test this again I revved it up to around 4500 and usually, it would very slowly drop back down again, as the computer doesn' drop the revs straight away like in a normal car. But this time, it just dropped back down to idle as normal?... I gave it a bootfull (after it warmed up), and again usually after i clutch in at 6k, throttle control keeps the revs high by itself, but this time it just dropped naturally.

Now obviously it's very difficult to tell just by feel, but for some reason it felt a tad laggier at launch, but seemed to pull much harder from 4k onwards.

I'm not stupid enough to drive around with it disconnected, but could anyone tell me why there was no error at least? could the VCM guys have blocked it out? (not that you'd need to, my MAF was fine)... Could this pave the way for a MAFless tune?......................just maybe?

Wondering if I get an intake pipe made up with no MAF and try it for a run at calder, unless anybody else has more concrete figures?...

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
maybe ask the tuner his thoughts, i doubt alot of people on here would actually know, unless they themselves work with vcm software, or maybe post this thread in the performance section.

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
SLAP HIM UPSIDE THE HEAD !! tuning for the alloytec is crap

haha i would except he's a real nice guy, but he's usually running around on the phone, if anyone goes there (its on ferntree gully rd, knoxfield) speak to david :)

but remember the software was written to tune a huge range of motors, the alloytec (as we know) is a pain in the arse to get into thanks to holden's coding and MAFing.