Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec oil catch can - how to install?

clb1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Looked inside my intake piping yesterday and found a fair bit of oil residue :(
Can anyone tell me or preferably show me with pictures how to plumb in an oil catch can for a 195kw Alloytec? I'm confused as to which hoses to use and can't seem to find a thread with pictures of an alloytec engine rather than an lfx.
Much appreciated!

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
At the back of the drivers bank is the PCV valve that goes to the T piece behind the plenum/manifold which goes to both sides of the plenum.
You need to plumb the first catch can between the PCV valve and the T piece. Easiest to remove everything (carefully) and cut the tube replacing with hose.

On the passengers side bank will be a breather hose between to the intake tube. Plumb the second one between those two. But remember this one breathes into the engine as well so make sure your catch can is setup so it can't suck the filthy residue back into the engine.

You can use 10mm silicone hose (SCA) or use 6mm silicone hose (same internal diameter as the original pipe) with 10mm tails for connectivity.

Hope that makes sense.
Cheers, Nick

clb1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
At the back of the drivers bank is the PCV valve that goes to the T piece behind the plenum/manifold which goes to both sides of the plenum.
You need to plumb the first catch can between the PCV valve and the T piece. Easiest to remove everything (carefully) and cut the tube replacing with hose.

On the passengers side bank will be a breather hose between to the intake tube. Plumb the second one between those two. But remember this one breathes into the engine as well so make sure your catch can is setup so it can't suck the filthy residue back into the engine.

You can use 10mm silicone hose (SCA) or use 6mm silicone hose (same internal diameter as the original pipe) with 10mm tails for connectivity.

Hope that makes sense.
Cheers, Nick

Cheers mate! Do you have to use 2 cans or is there a way to do it with just one, doesn't really matter either way. just curious.

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
Cheers mate! Do you have to use 2 cans or is there a way to do it with just one, doesn't really matter either way. just curious.

Two cans because the ports do different things.

As I modified some eBay specials the high pressure one has a hose to the bottom of the can. The second low pressure one has a hose only half way down to stop the engine sucking any residue back into the engine.

clb1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Two cans because the ports do different things.

As I modified some eBay specials the high pressure one has a hose to the bottom of the can. The second low pressure one has a hose only half way down to stop the engine sucking any residue back into the engine.

So should i disregard this diagram?

catch can.PNG

clb1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Actually, no, excuse the noobiness I seem to be over-complicating the plumbing. I think i understand now, just to double-check:
The above diagram is showing how the first can you explained should be installed (Between the PCV and the t-piece). The second can should be plumbed between the breather from the engine to the tube heading to the intake?
However, just to double check with your last post - when you said you modified the cans, the hoses you mention are ones that you've attached to the inlet valve on the inside of the can in order to force the incoming gases to the bottom? I'm assuming you used steel wool to as a filter?

Thanks again for your help mate!

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
Actually, no, excuse the noobiness I seem to be over-complicating the plumbing. I think i understand now, just to double-check:
The above diagram is showing how the first can you explained should be installed (Between the PCV and the t-piece). The second can should be plumbed between the breather from the engine to the tube heading to the intake?
However, just to double check with your last post - when you said you modified the cans, the hoses you mention are ones that you've attached to the inlet valve on the inside of the can in order to force the incoming gases to the bottom? I'm assuming you used steel wool to as a filter?

Thanks again for your help mate!

Yes, correct and yes

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
If you go ahead can u add pics and steps u did please.
Good luck with it mate.